JD 350b final drive drain plug question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jrjenner
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350b final drive drain plug question

Post by Jrjenner » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:01 pm

So I am putting the second set of clutches and a new brake band on the left side of my 350 B. Had it done about three years ago and I put less than 100 hours on it since then. Pulled the final drive out and the clutch plates were all rusted up. Question I have is the drain plug that's in the bottom of the final Drive case. The gentleman that's doing my clutches says he has seen that plug replaced with a cotter pin in many instances to let any liquid drain out? So the question is should I remove the plug or leave it in? Any other recommendations on how to prevent the rust in the final draft case? This tractor does not see water but I live in northern Michigan so It does see some dramatic temperature changes. Thanks in advance for any recommendations

John

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: JD 350b final drive drain plug question

Post by timmtnman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:45 pm

I personally have mine removed and also keeps small tarp over the seat and tanks to keep water from getting in the access plates. Seems to help for me. Mine doesn't see any water either.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 350b final drive drain plug question

Post by LeonardL » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:49 pm

I hope the plug you are referring to is the plug in the bottom of the clutch housing and not the actual final drive drain plug. There is a plug directly under the brake band that drains the clutch housing. This is the one you can remove. These older dry clutch machines are moisture producing monsters. No matter what make they are. I've seen Cat, IHC and Allis machines do the same thing. For some reason they really like to condense moisture and flood things that shouldn't have water in them. It is a good idea to remove the plug or drill a small hole in it with a cotter pin in that hole. You need to be careful how tall you leave the pin because it will come in contact with the brake band. It is also a good idea to remove the covers on the clutch housings and check once in a while to see if they are condensing moisture. Where you live is prone for a lot of moisture so keeping the machine covered or in a machine shed would also be a good idea. I have relatives in Michigan and have lived there as well when in school back in the 70's. You get a lot of Lake Effect moisture that keeps equipment wet or buried in snow in the winter. Keeping this moisture off of the machine will help. If you do take your covers off and find moisture, you can put a heat lamp or some sort of safe heat blowing down in the housings to dry them back out. The best thing to do to keep your clutches from seizing from rust is to run the machine some on a regular basis to keep things loosened up. Run it back and forth while working the steering in both directions. I hope this helps and good luck. :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.