450C hydraulic fluid

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

450C hydraulic fluid

Post by 8thnotch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:57 pm

I know this topic has been beaten too death but I’m too far from a jd dealer to purchase Hygard oil .I just ordered two pairs of Klondike universal tractor fluid for my hydraulics . There’s so much confusion with oils , multi viscosity ,aw 22,32,36,4?, 68,100 than reg aw, than universal fluid than ,than ,than . Would that suffice for a hydraulic oil for my machine? I have half a pail of low viscosity hygard and a pail of Mobil Nuto 22 and a pail of Nuto 36 . Can I use any of these or should I use them somewhere else ? I was thinking of using the low viscosity hygard for trans ? And final drives . How the heck do I know if I have a common sump or not ? Help thank you

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450C hydraulic fluid

Post by Jim B » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:46 pm

I suggest using a UTF that meets John Deere's J20C spec for a regular Hy-Gard equivalent or J20D for the low viscosity equivalent. This would be for any place your manual says to use Hy-Gard. The label on the container or a product technical data sheet for the UTF should have that info if it meets the JD spec.

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Thanks Jim couldn’t find a technical sheet on the oil but I will keep looking.

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:44 pm

PRODUCT DATA SHEET Page 1 of 3
KLONDIKE Universal Tractor Fluid
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
KLONDIKE Universal Tractor Fluid is fomulated with the highest quality, ultra-pure paraffinic components and high performance additives. These advanced base oils have been chosen to maximize performance and provide long term, trouble free service in high-torque, high-output applications operating under heavy loads and severe stress. This multi-functional fluid will deliver smooth power transfer and reliable, consistent performance in modern, heavy duty equipment operating in conditions subject to wide ambient and system operating temperatures.
KLONDIKE Universal Tractor Fluid delivers value through the following benefits:
• Friction material compatibility — balanced frictional characteristics and high shear stability ensure precise clutch and wet brake operation with unsurpassed chatter suppression.
• High oxidation stability — extra resistance to thermal degradation provides superior protection against oxidation and deposit formation.
• Outstanding anti-wear — exceptional protection against wear from microscopic contaminants at high operating temperatures and pressures ensures long equipment life.
• Increased efficiency — the right fluid maximizes equipment reliability and minimizes maintenance costs.
• Optimal oil service life — high oxidation stability maximizes fluid life for reduced oil changes and improved fluid economy.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
KLONDIKE Universal Tractor Fluid is a specialized, advanced formulation designed to fulfill the torque transfer, hydraulic, and power transmission requirements of farm tractors and other mobile off-road equipment. This multi-functional fluid provides outstanding operating and maintenance benefits across a broad temperature range for increased operating efficiency, performance, and component protection.
APPLICATIONS
KLONDIKE Universal Tractor Fluid is designed and recommended for use in all kinds of agricultural equipment, off-highway machinery, and industrial tractors. This premium, multi-functional formulation is a single fluid that may be used to lubricate all conventional points on an agricultural or industrial tractor or piece of mobile equipment that has a common sump supplying oil to the transmission, final drive, power take-off, wet brakes, power steering, hydrostatic, and hydraulic systems. This fluid is suitable for use in all major brand OEM equipment where such a fluid is specified.
This multi-functional fluid also meets the requirements of API GL-4 gear oil, Allison C-4 off road transmission specifications, and hydraulic pump manufacturer’s requirements for anti-wear hydraulic KLONDIKE Universal Tractor Fluid is recommended for use where the following OEM specifications are required:
• AGCO Brands: PowerFluid 821, 821 XL (Deutz, Allis-Chalmers)
• Allison: C-4, C-3, C-2 (agriculture applications)
• API: GL-4
• Case: JIC 144, 145(TCH Fluid), MS-1204, MS-1207 (HyTran Plus), MS-1209 (HyTran Ultra/Multi Tran), MS-1210 (TCH), MS-1230 (Poclain Hydraulic)
• CAT: TO-2
• CNH (Case New Holland): MAT 3525, MAT 3505,
• ABEX/Denison: UTTO, HF-0,1,2
• FNH (Ford New Holland): A-2-C-200/201, M2C41A/B, M2C48B, M2C53A, M2C86A/B, M2C134A/B/C/D (NH-410B)
• Grove Manufacturing: Hydraulic Fluid
• Hesston- Fiat: AF-87 (Multi-F), Oilofiat Tutela
• IHC (International Harvester): B-5, B-6 (HyTran)
• JCMAS (Japanese Construction Mechanization Association): HK P-041, P-042
• John Deere: J-20C, J20 A/B, J21A, J14C, JDT303,
• Komatsu AXO80
• Kubota: UDT
• Landini: Tractor Hydraulic Fluid
• Massey Ferguson: M-1110, M-1127, M-1127A/B, M-1129, M-1129A, M-1135, M-1141 , M-1143, M-1145
• Clark Lift Truck: Trans Fluid TA12, TA18, HR500, HR600
• Volvo: WB101
• ZF TE-ML-03E, TE-ML-05F
• Oliver/White: Q1826, Q1802, Q1766, Q1766B, Q1722, Q1705, Type 55,
• Sauer/Danfoss (Sunstrand): Hydrostatic Trans Fluid
• Steiger: Hyd-Trans Fluid (SEMS 17001)
• Versatile Gear & Hydraulic Transmission Fluid: 23 M &24M
• Vickers: I-286-S, M-2950-S, 35VQ25
KLONDIKE Universal Tractor Fluids are also recommended for use in (but not limited to) the following equipment applications: Belarus, David Brown, Dresser CED, Fendt (Non-Vario), IMT, Kioti, Landini, Leyland, McCormick Farmall, Mitsubishi, New Idea, Renault, Universal,

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:48 am

That should be acceptable as a substitute for Hy-Gard, it says it meets J20C. The other specs they list are the ones prior to J20C.

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:27 pm

Jim would you recommend a jd20-c or jd20-d or equivalent in my transmission low viscosity or reg hygard - what’s better for the colder temps. Our temp here are +30c in the summer -40c winter average -15-20c thinking I will use my machine for plowing this winter .

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:13 am

Will you be running it most, and working hardest, in the winter or summer? Your summer temp is at the top end of the recommended temp for the low viscosity. Personally I would stay with the regular (J20C) not the low viscosity (J20D). I say that based on JD showing regular Hy-Gard for temperature range 50c to -25c. I doubt you will run it often at -40c. Depending on the temperature, I would suggest warming it up for 10-15 minutes (maybe a bit longer at -40c) before starting to work it and starting work gently, while the whole machine warms up some. I see you have another post about a block heater. If the engine is warm and you can start it easily, running the engine and warming the machine (transmission and hydraulics) is the way I would go, using the regular grade fluid.

I haven't asked JD service this but when I rebuilt the transmission in my CAT 426 loader hoe I asked the service manager about going to lighter oil, as the book shows, for the winter in that. (We see -25 to -30F at times in the winter and summers can see 100F.) He said they recommended staying with the 30 weight the book calls for, just warm up for 15 to 20 minutes before working it. I have an engine heater on my diesels I use in the winter. Using the engine heaters I can I start them at a low rpm, no starting fluid needed, and bring them up to about 1000 rpm over a couple minutes and let them warm at that speed.

Others will weigh in and may have other thoughts and starting/warm up tips. The fellows, that post on here from your area, will have good advice on this for you. I don't know that there is any one right or wrong answer for this.

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:45 am

Ok that’s what I was thinking just use reg hygard or equivalent at125$ a pail might look at a j20c equivalent if it’s a few dollars shorter looks like I need 4-5 pails to do trans /finals /and steering clutches. Ugh .