Tank heater

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Tank heater

Post by 8thnotch » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:31 pm

Read all the posts on the tank heater installs my machine has a hose from block where block drain would have been to a hose barb fitting that’s at the top of lower road hose housing on side of water pump has a quick disconnect between the hoses . Would I use that setup or should I drill and tap the thermostat housing there’s no plug on it . Or should I pull the temp sensor on top of block and T a fitting In there for the top of the heater what is the most effective location ? Thank you for all the help fella’s .

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Tank heater

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:33 am

Here a photo of the heater tap points I found recommended by JD for a 4219 engine. I have seen many different tap point used. The critical things with a tank type heater are hot water rises (thermosyphon principal - hot rises and cold drops) so the hot return point must be higher than the cold inlet to the heater and the hot water hose should run on a rise all the way, not up above the return point then down to it. The cold inlet of the heater can be mounted below the tap point on the block.

Here is a photo of the heater as I installed it on my 2030 with a 4219 engine. The tap points look close together but it works fine. You will see I used a tee at the block drain port so I could keep the ability to drain the block with a petcock if needed. The hoses are molded hoses, auto bypass hoses, as I wanted to keep the set up close to the block to avoid anything catching it and pulling a hose off. The hot water return location is the same area the newer engines have in block heaters installed (the port is larger on those). The casting boss is thin at the upper tap point so don't crank the fitting in too hard, the tapered thread of a fitting could cause a crack in that boss.

HTH
Jim

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:49 am

Looking at your first pic I think I can go that road with the top fitting, On your pic where your lower rad hose comes up to the housing mine had a barb there where it has a hose ran to drain tap with a quick connect . I see your thermostat housing has the flat spot but no plug or barb there . Was going to drill mine and tap it , but if I can get equivalent results from those two areas closer together I will go that road and and save. Bit of work . Thank you

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:23 pm

A quick disconnect on the drain sounds like part of the arrangement some guys use here on their skidders. They have jumper hoses to tie into their pick up's cooling system and the skidder cooling system to warm them at the woodyard where they don't have power. Connect the hoses, let the truck run, and get things ready to go while the skidder engine gets warmed up. Yours might be just a drain or your crawler may have had a second hose, with disconnect, some where else at one time so it could be warmed by another engine.

To close to the thermostat can cause problems, sometimes. You don't want the thermostat to open and coolant go to the radiator, you want the heat to stay in the engine. Too big a heater can cause thermostats to open, I've seen it a couple times. I stay away from the thermostat area with the heater's hot coolant discharge line whenever possible.

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:33 pm

Did my tank heater with the pics you posted Jim only prob for the life of me couldn't get top plug out of block heat and all before finally rounding out the plug , ended up drilling amd tapping the flat spot on housing up to thermostat and doing the install . Apparently my machine is missing the thermostat someone took it out at one time . Looking at thermostats listed in parts they list 3 - one opens at 180deg / one at 192 deg /and one at 205 I believe the one for a gas job is the 180 deg and diesel should be a hotter tstat . Really not sure what one I shoud run in there ? thanx for the input

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:26 pm

I would go with the 192. I don't plan on changing them in the summer and I think 205 would be ok in the winter but more than needed in the summer, when the ambient temperature is higher, so there is less temperature differential for heat transfer. The guys who are running them up nearer to you may use the 205 thermostat, hopefully some of them weigh in on your question.