450C Brake issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ryan71407
420 crawler
420 crawler

450C Brake issue

Post by ryan71407 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:16 pm

i have a 76 450c dozer that sometimes require the brake pedal to be slightly pressed to turn to the left, if i pull left handle it will sometimes turn to the left and most of the times i have to press the brake pedal a little and it works perfect. Noticed today that the linkage going from the brake pedal to the steering linkage is not there, not sure if that is a coincidence and just used for a parking brake. Any ideas?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450C Brake issue

Post by LeonardL » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:33 am

I'm not sure I'm completely following you and your issue. It sounds like an adjustment issue to me. Either that or your left brake band is either worn out, glazed over or has something on it. Like moisture or oil. What does the right side do? Does it steer okay?

Your foot brake is just that, a foot brake. It's also used as a parking brake. It has nothing to do with your steering. So there won't be any linkage from the foot pedal to the steering. It will only actuate the brake band. When you push the foot brake it should apply braking to both sides at the same time. When you say you can add a little pressure via the foot brake to make it steer to that side tells me that it is either out of adjustment or is slipping on the brake drum on that side.

This is of course you have stick steering. As I recall from the 450C's back they all have lever or stick steering. Newer 450's could have either foot steer or lever steer depending on what the original owner wanted. Most newer 450's have foot steer. In the case of one with foot steering, the machine will have three pedals. the center one being the foot brake or parking brake. Just an FYI.

I would run the steering adjustments on your machine and get them where they belong first. If you don't have a tech manual then I highly suggest you get one and follow the sequence as it is pointed out.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.