Considering purchasing this JD450, advice needed please

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Lynard05
MC crawler
MC crawler

Considering purchasing this JD450, advice needed please

Post by Lynard05 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:01 am

Hello,

I am a new poster to this forum and am seeking some advice from those who know lots more about these machines than I do.

I am considering purchasing a dozer to use around a farm property we just purchased. Do I need a dozer? Probably not, I could hire out what needs done, but that doesn’t seem much like fun.

The dozer I am interested looking at is a 1968 JD450 with a manual 6 way blade and rippers. The owner purchased it in 1975 from a local college, used it to do part time excavating work with for 20 years, changed the sprockets and tracks, and then used it occasionally on their farm.

My concerns (again, only from what I’ve read)

1. Should I seek a newer tractor with a hydraulic 6 way or will it not matter much for my application?

2. I’ve read about expensive repair bills on these involving the HLR transmission and dry steering clutch replacement, is this enough reason to buy a more mechanic friendly machine?

I plan to use the dozer around a 7.5 acre sloped property to clear fence lines and do some grading. The property is mostly free of trees. Eventually a house will be built on the lot, am I crazy to think I could prep a homesite with a JD450? I am a teacher so have some time in the summer to learn and hopefully accomplish this task.

The dozer is about 3 hours away from me, I’ve priced transportation at $700. Would it also be $300-$500 well spent to see if I can get someone to do an inspection on it? Unfortunately I do not know anyone with expert knowledge of these.

I will post pictures once I figure out exactly how to do so.

Any input and advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Considering purchasing this JD450, advice needed please

Post by Lavoy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:10 am

I don't really think there is anything that is more "mechanic" friendly machine. In the scheme of things, steering clutches are the least of my worry. Even if you end up doing them, you are likely good for as long as you own the machine. If not, it has done so much work for you that you can scrap it and be lots of dollars ahead.
6 way is nice, yes, but somehow the whole world got by with straight blades until the 6 way was invented. Personal choice, yes I would want a 6 way, but would not pass up a good crawler because it didn't have one.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Lynard05
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Considering purchasing this JD450, advice needed please

Post by Lynard05 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 am

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Is there anything in particular I should check for when I go to check this out, or should I see if the local JD dealer offers on-site inspections. At this point I am largely afraid due to limited experience I may not know of an existing problem and buy a machine that is going to require a heavy repair bill shortly after taking it home.

Here are some pictures of it, any comments or questions are again appreciated. Thanks