Swapping 4045T With 4039D 550G Dozer Help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Swapping 4045T With 4039D 550G Dozer Help

Post by LeonardL » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:10 am

I need to correct myself a little bit. After I posted that last post I went to the shop and looked at a six cylinder I have apart to look at the front end of the engine. This six cylinder is the same as your four cylinders it just has two more cylinders.

I was wrong about you having to swap the entire front of your engines. You won't need to go all the way back to the front engine plate. Your 4045 and your 4039 should have the same front engine plate and timing cover.

However you may still have to change everything after the timing cover. That being the water pump mounting plate, water pump, alternator mounting and maybe even the dynamic balance pulley on the crank shaft. What ever your 4045 has on the front will need to go over to the 4039.

Sorry I got this wrong but hopefully it will help a little bit.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

darrenrudolph83
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by darrenrudolph83 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:30 am

Jim B wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:14 pm
I don't know if there will be a difference in the two flywheels or not. You might have to swap the flywheels. The parts book shows different flywheels in the 550G 4045T depending on convertor or not. Then the question will be if you have to swap flywheels, do you need to swap the housing plate that the starter mounts to as well. If that happens you will be looking at replacing the engine rear main seal (depending on the seal there maybe special JD tools required to install the seal). Wish I could say no problem, but I just don't know. I don't know if Deere can tell you anything from the two serial numbers or not. There may be some info in the roller parts book if you have it. You might be able to compare part numbers if the roller parts book has the JD numbers for those parts.
Jim,

You are correct, I called the dealer yesterday and they were able to tell me that yes the flywheels are different and yes the housing plate needs to be swapped over as well. I think I am on the right track now. Thanks again!

Darren

darrenrudolph83
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by darrenrudolph83 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 am

LeonardL wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:30 pm
Okay so let me make sure I follow you. The 4039 that you are wanting to use is in a roller and not another John Deere crawler? Maybe you mentioned that and I just missed it. Which given my dumbass factor would make it a great possibility!! :D That being said and in case I did not miss something then here is what you will have to do.

Jim is on the right track about the flywheel and engine mounting plate. You will need to swap both over from your 4045 to the 4039. This will put your starter on the right side of the engine for your crawler. Unfortunately you will have to install a new rear main seal and yes it does take a special tool to install them. When you do this, be sure to look at what seal the 4039 has on it. If it is the old style seal then it will have a wear ring pressed onto the crankshaft. You will need to remove this wear ring before you can install the newer style seal. They are a two piece seal that installs all together. Thus the special tool you will have to use.

Another issue you may or may not encounter is the Tachometer drive on the backend of the cam shaft. The 4039 being in a roller could mean that they used a different tach drive or perhaps none at all. If you can do without a tachometer then there is no real problem except that I highly recommend you should have one.

You may also have to swap the entire front end of your 4045 over to the 4039. When these other companies bought and used Deere engines to run their equipment, they used either an Ag tractor or Stationary unit engines. These applications have completely different water pumps and alternator configurations. So that means all of your front end engine parts from the front plate out will need to be swapped over.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is what you will have to do. You may get lucky and the fronts of both motors will be the same. But you will definitely have to swap the rear plate and flywheel.
Leonard,

Between you and Jim giving me all this info and me sleeping on it for a few nights I think it all makes sense now. I cant thank you guys enough for taking the time to help me out, I get crazy looks all the time from people when I dream up these projects because they usually aren't what most would do I guess. When I bought the roller and brought that home my wife was looking at it like what in the world will you ever do with that haha..

Anyways, Yes the 4039 engine is in a 1997 Ferguson SP-912 roller, not another JD machine. My 550G does not have a tachometer but I believe the roller does, so that wont be an issue. I will have to basically swap the front end, rear end and top of the engines but it should work. According to the dealer yesterday everything will swap over. I will use the block, oil pan and head from the 4039, swap the front, rear and top from the 4045 onto the 4039 and install.

And just like that I should have a fresh engine in the 550G

darrenrudolph83
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by darrenrudolph83 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:42 am

LeonardL wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:10 am
I need to correct myself a little bit. After I posted that last post I went to the shop and looked at a six cylinder I have apart to look at the front end of the engine. This six cylinder is the same as your four cylinders it just has two more cylinders.

I was wrong about you having to swap the entire front of your engines. You won't need to go all the way back to the front engine plate. Your 4045 and your 4039 should have the same front engine plate and timing cover.

However you may still have to change everything after the timing cover. That being the water pump mounting plate, water pump, alternator mounting and maybe even the dynamic balance pulley on the crank shaft. What ever your 4045 has on the front will need to go over to the 4039.

Sorry I got this wrong but hopefully it will help a little bit.
You are correct on that Leonard, the 4039 does have an extra pump for the power steering for the roller, I believe its gear driven. It is part of the front cover so that will need to come off and be swapped with the 4045. Everything else appears to be the same.