troubleshooting/operation of ripper 450b dozer

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
mcdozer
MC crawler
MC crawler

troubleshooting/operation of ripper 450b dozer

Post by mcdozer » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:08 pm

So new to posting on this useful forum, but unable to locate intel required. Purchased a 1972-74 JD dozer with 6 way blade and ripper on machine a few(10+) years back. Ripper was bonus never had much interest in using until recently. There is selector valve (named by JD in shop manual) just in front of hyd. res. tank for blade that will pull up. Once pulled up the engine will start to labor, however the ripper does not seem willing to move. Note, there are lines plumbed to the ripper cylinders and I was told the ripper worked. A friend who had an old 450 years ago claims the ripper is activated by the dozer blade "T-handle/stick" but after trying and moving to all its possible positions, gave up. No other means to operate the ripper appear in sight of the selector valve/blade control valve area. I received two shanks/teeth attached when bought the used unit. I am considering using the machine to break a narrow path in clay soil 20" from surface and would like to find long shank/tooth to accomplish this task (this is old trick to help surface water runoff and avoid drain tile installation). As necessary pics of the unit/existing plumbing can be provided. Look for any help from you fine lads or lassies! All the Best!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: troubleshooting/operation of ripper 450b dozer

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:52 pm

Welcome to the board. Your posts for your 450B should be on the Late Models Board in the future. This one will likely get moved over there when Lavoy or a moderator see it, so don't think it was removed from the site.

I would start by following all the hoses from ripper to selector valve to next valve, etc. and make a sketch for future reference. Chasing the hoses out you should be able to find the valve that the ripper is tied to via the selector valve. Check to be sure you don't have quick couplings somewhere in the hoses that may have come apart.

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: troubleshooting/operation of ripper 450b dozer

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:21 am

I just sent a "very late" reply to your PM.

Let me know if you don't find it, or of you still have the problem.

Ralph
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck