450C HLR Pressure

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

450C HLR Pressure

Post by rufustoad » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:48 pm

Hi all,
I need a little input from the pro's. I have just gotten my stuff back together, new main clutch, cleaned and de-glazed rear steering clutches, etc and I was setting my HLR pressure. At around 1800rpm I seem to have around 160ish psi which seems good but when I go into gear my pressure drops around 80psi which is odd. The tractor seems really sluggish in H range but when I back up to a tree it spins the tracks in both R and L. It shifts from R to L almost instantly and will toss you from the seat but I am concerned with this pressure and the sluggishness in H range. What am I missing on this? Could the valve body be hanging and is that something that could work its self free with time and new fluid? The tractor has sat for several years because it stopped pulling due to broken hydraulic line in the final drive and the brake band were shot. Any input would be really great since these manuals are just retched:)
God Bless
Todd

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 450C HLR Pressure

Post by DrLoch » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:18 am

Pressure should be the same in 3 ranges. A good pressure is 180 PSI. If it
450C Track Loader
291457T

rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by rufustoad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess my question would be what is possible to make the pressure drop in gear? I would think even if the HLR discs were worn it would not cause a drop. Is there a hydraulic line inside trans that could cause this OR is something in the valve body itself causing the process to drop. I am not 100% on how the flow works to the valve body.
I was going to pull the top of trans but would like an idea of what I am looking for first if possible
God Bless
Todd

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:00 am

Does the pressure drop when checked in all of the 3 ranges, Hi-Lo-Rev? If it does then it is something common to all. There are some line hard lines under the cover. Did you do a complete clutch adjust as per the manual?

There are clutch packs inside the transmission the engage and disengage the various motions, Reverse, High and Low much the same as clutch packs in an automobile automatic transmission. If the pressure drops in only one of the 3 ranges then I would suspect a clutch pack seal. All this information is in the Group 15 HLR Transmission section, at least in my manual which is for a 450C version.

Things that are common to all would be the hard lines under the cover and the clutch control unit.
450C Track Loader
291457T