JD 350c winch cable replacement

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Pipestem
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350c winch cable replacement

Post by Pipestem » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:01 pm

Cable broke on my 350c winch cable. The valve and connection under the seat is visible but I don't think I can get to everything from the top to disconnect spring and cable then replace it and spring? I would appreciate any advice as to what is the best approach to replacing this cable before I go tearing into it from the wrong direction. Thanks!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 350c winch cable replacement

Post by Jim B » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:44 pm

A little more info may help. You say the valve is under the seat, that sounds like the spool valve arrangement. Is it a sliding spool valve with hoses hooked to it? Or is it the rotary valve that is mounted on the front face of the winch housing in the area between the back of your crawler and the winch?

Pipestem
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Pipestem » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:21 pm

I believe it is what is called a rotary valve. Cable connects to a lever, spring connects to cable end to keep it attached, then to a point below valve. That spring is the problem. I can not figure how to get it off the old cable and then attached back to a new cable in the confined work area under the seat. I can look up from under the dozer and see it but not certain of how much working room I would have from there as the rear of the belly pan is in the way. I thought maybe taking the two back bolts out of the pan would allow it to drop down enough for me to reach spring from bottom of machine but not sure. In looking at the winch it's not really clear to me how it attaches to the machine. Pulling the winch may be better than messing with the belly pan but I can't figure out what all I have to do to get the winch off there plus the rigging necessary to handle it if I do. However, I would figure out some way to handle it if I have to. Removing the winch or dropping belly pan both seem like a lot of work to access a spring I can see and touch, with my fingers, but can't get a tool on from the top side. Thinking someone may have modified a tool or developed a method to get at it from under the seat. I am just trying to figure the best way to approach this. Any advice and experience with this repair is appreciated.

Pipestem
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Pipestem » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Found out the way to replace control cable is to remove winch from machine.