JD 350 logging arch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
kwtownsend
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 350 logging arch

Post by kwtownsend » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:43 pm

I have a JD350 with logging arch. The upper (horizontal) roller has two deep grooves (maybe 3/16" deep) on the outer edges. Is this a concern? How thick is the drum? Is it solid to the bearing, or is it hollow? Can I keep using it as it is, or is it a disaster waiting to happen?
Thanks,

: ^ )

Keith

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 350 logging arch

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:30 pm

I logged with one when younger. We would grind off the ridges, and then make sure to reposition the machine frequently while winching for better spooling in the future. It's a pain on a 350 since you have to clutch, re-gear, reposition, put in neutral, etc. but it saves cable, binding, and cable slivers. When back at the shop, getting ready for winter, we'd re caulk, an then re surface the winch fair lead rollers too. A grinder is your friend to knock off high spots. The resurfacing doesn't need to be too pretty. The goal is to offset wear. We used 7018 rod generally, but other rods or wire that work well for you will meet the goal of extending the roll and cables life. Good luck. Btw, we went with 450s at a later date since they could reposition more easily, and we're bigger. But my 350 got me started in logging and served us well.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch