Gauge sending units locations

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Charlie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Gauge sending units locations

Post by Charlie » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:25 pm

Hello everyone,
I am looking for the gauge sending unit location on a 450c. I have all three manuals, maintenance, parts and operation. No help?
I removed the gauge panel,cleaned and wire brushed to bare metal. I painted and mounted new gauges except oil pressure. Still looking for a suitable gauge.
Posted pictures on the picture server.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Gauge sending units locations

Post by Jim B » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:33 am

Not every detail is written in manuals. You have to remember the manuals, especially technical ones are written for the dealer mechanics who have worked on equipment and may have had manufacturer training as well. Does yours have plumbing like this to supply oil to the turbo? If so the oil pressure gauge sending unit may be in the top of the block where this one has the black hose. The hose going down attaches to the housing plate where many engines have the sending unit mounted, which I posted the other day. If it is not in either of these places, you might put some pictures of your engine on the server, someone might be able to spot the sender for you.

What are you looking for as a "suitable" gauge? Have you checked with Lavoy to see what he may have through his store? Stewart Warner, Isspro, and VDO are some common brand names, I know of. John Deere has and may be using VDO gauges (that is what is in my 450E). As with everything results with these have varied. Isspro and VDO are top shelf and prices reflect that, as does a new gauge from JD.

Did you paint your dash panel blue or is that just an affect of the lighting? Just curious, its your to paint any color you wish.

Charlie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Charlie » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:36 pm

Thanks for the reply. The gauges I received have the pressure tubes, they're not electric. I purchased a kit on ebay that said they would fit a 450c. I might end up buying more gauges. I would rather have the electric gauges. I should have asked the seller what type they were.
The manuals are not as good as they could be, but better than nothing. I am getting ready to cut the manual up into sections to make it easier to hold and read. Get rid of sections I don't need, backhoe and winch.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Did you locate the oil gauge sending unit?

Charlie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Charlie » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:07 am

No I was distracted working on another issue.
I painted it ford blue I didn't like the black.
And I had the blue and didn't have the black.

nelstomlinson
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by nelstomlinson » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:50 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:33 am
Not every detail is written in manuals. You have to remember the manuals, especially technical ones are written for the dealer mechanics who have worked on equipment and may have had manufacturer training as well.
If you don't have the factory training the manuals stink; very inadequate. Better than nothing, I suppose.

It's a pity there isn't more on youtube about these machines.