450c steering clutches

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Charlie
430 crawler
430 crawler

450c steering clutches

Post by Charlie » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:31 am

Good morning all,
when you adjust the steering clutch levers for travel, where do you make the adjustment? the linkage between the lever and spool on the control valve are fixed. I removed the spools and they both look good, it would appear that the oil flow to the clutches is not being blocked to stop the movement of the final drive? at the very extreme travel of the steering levers it will stop the movement, like maybe the brake is stopping the track from moving.
I have been uploading pictures of our 450c to the picture server.
gallery Charlie3939.

Charlie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: 450c steering clutches

Post by Charlie » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Ok, I disconnected the brake linkage from the steering levers. With the crawler in gear forward or reverse, the crawler moves as it should. Pulling the levers back has no affect, both tracks continue to move.
Question is are the steering clutches engaged with fluid pressure or the lack of pressure? From the manual to me It looks like fluid has the clutch's engaged and when you move the spool via the lever the clutch's are disengaged by blocking the flow of oil.
We are having fun, but it's getting old.
What am I missing?

Charlie.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:11 am

The steering clutches have constant oil supply under pressure. They release when the oil is interrupted (dumped by the steering valve). On flat ground without a load (like pushing against something) pulling a lever to disengage the steering clutch, with no brake, may not turn the machine.

Are you pulling the levers one at a time or both at once? Is your bucket on the ground with some pressure when you try this. Pulling both back at the same time, should stop travel.

Have you made every steering and brake adjustment, in the order called for, in the service manual. The adjustments can affect the operation. I don't have a 450C manual so can't tell you just where/what it says, or interpret it for you; but from my 450Emanuals the adjustments for lever travel are tied to the brake rod adjustments and the brake self adjusters being set correctly. I think the C manual is similar but can not say that for certain. That is why I am saying you need to do the whole adjustment procedure for brakes and steering as it is written in your manual. Your self adjusters for the brakes may be out of whack, or not working.

Charlie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Charlie » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Hello,
Thank you Jim for the reply. I have not done anything with the crawler since the last post as I have been busy with other projects.
I will make the clutch and brake adjustments per the manual. Hopefully in the next few days. I looked on lavoy's site for a possible oil pressure gauge, seen the list of parts, but nothing else, like pictures, part numbers, or prices of what he might have. Looks like this might be a winter long project. And next summer before a paint job.
I removed each page from the 3 manuals and now I have 5, 3 ring binders, making it much easier to read. And to make copies of the pages I need while performing the work.
Charlie.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:58 pm

Lavoy has, and can get, parts not listed on this site. To my knowledge he doesn't maintain an on line catalog, if that is what you were looking for. Send him an email, or give him a call during central time zone business hours. Here is a post with his info.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12896