450 crawler loader

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
pbocco
MC crawler
MC crawler

450 crawler loader

Post by pbocco » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:50 am

I have 2 questions. First...when I start my 450 it inches forward a few inches. What needs adjustment?
My 2nd issue is I had a repair shop take the loader in to redo the right side steering clutches. (the left side was already done before I bought it ). It took him weeks before he brought it back. When I use it it is very difficult to steer...when it steers at all! The repair shop won't do anything about it. I paid them a LOT to do the repair.
Should an older ( 70 ish ) be a difficult machine to steer? I ran lots of track machines back in the 70s and don't remember any of them being this difficult to steer.
Also it seems to steer a little better in reverse.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450 crawler loader

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Welcome to the Board. You say you have a 450. Just to confirm is this a straight 450 with no letter suffix? Do you know/have the serial number? The 450s were built from 1965 to 1970.

The movement when you start it may be the shifter linkage is worn and out of adjustment, not unusual. Adjustment is an easy thing to check and even if it needs a bit of repair it should be checked and fixed as it is a safety issue.

Steering also may just need adjusting. Does it have power assist steering with the separate reservoir? if so does the reservoir have oil in it at the proper level?

The adjustments need to be done completely and in the order as laid out in the manuals. These adjustment procedures are in the Operator's Manual and the Service Manual. Do you have the real John Deere (not I&T) Operator's Manual and Service Manual for your machine?
Jim

pbocco
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by pbocco » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:42 am

yes it's a straight 450
serial no. 0036330 or 0036880...or any combination of the last 3's and 8's
other no. T5E3M 051875T
no power assist (that I can figure)
HLR transmission

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:56 am

Good morning.

T5E3M 051875 is your crawler's serial number. I am guessing the other number you posted may have come from the tag on the loader attachment and is not used to identify the crawler. Loader ID tags during those years usually begin with a 7450 prefix designating the loader on a 450. Here is the breakdown of your crawler's ID number:
T = Tractor
5 = JD450
E = Crawler loader
3 = Diesel
M = Transmission (HLR)

Serial number: 051875 (This number falls in the 1967 build range using the serial number list on this site’s FAQ board)

T= (Build location) John Deere Dubuque Works

If you have power assist there will be a pair of small valve/cylinders mounted on top of the transmission, under the seat, connected to the steering levers. There will also be a power steering pump and reservoir (looks like some used on older cars and trucks) mounted under the hood.

Was the left side working properly when you took it to the shop for repair of the right side? Is it hard to steer on both sides now or just the right side? If you are pushing something and you pull back on a lever does the track on the side, for the lever you pulled, stop turning?

I believe making all the adjustments for the HLR linkage and steering are the first things to do. Your steering clutches and brakes are dry clutches and brakes. While you have the inspection covers open to check adjustments look to be sure they have not gotten oil in/on them. Does it push ok going forward? Oil could make them slip when pushing as well as steering, however you didn't report them as slipping.

You did not post if you have the manuals or not. You need to use the manual to guide you through the adjustments. They need to be done completely, in the order given in the manual as with both the HLR and steering one point of adjustment can affect others. It is not unusual to have to run through the steering adjustments a couple time the first time you do them. I would recommend the service manual, SM2064, for the adjustments as it will have both steering and HLR. The steering adjustments should be in an operator's manual (OMT23810 or OMT32592) but I don't know that the HLR adjustment will be. The operator's manuals are better for normal service information than the service manuals. They work best when you have and use both. Lavoy can help you with manuals if you don't have them. HTH
Jim

pbocco
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by pbocco » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:25 am

It pushes good and the bucket works fine(we did have to replace a hose). The machine sat inside for many years before it was listed for sale. That's when I bought it. Overall it is in really good shape for it's age. None of the gauges work but it usually starts up with a shot of starting fluid.
What batteries (it takes 2 ) do I need to get for it.
Yes I have a service manual and a parts one.
I already bought all the necessary filters and Sunday when my friend/mechanic comes over we will service it and try and do the adjustments.
Where on a forum could I locate a mobile mechanic in my area? west valley ny 14171 ?
Any assistance would be helpful at this point.
Thanks

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:09 am

The batteries (2) called for in the parts catalog are 12 volt, BCI group 30H, having 685 CCA each (current John Deere part number TY21741). Those are top post batteries and get connected in parallel.

The fact that you say it pushes good, continues to make me think your steering issues relate to adjustments.

As for a local mobile mechanic, hopefully a member here, living in your area, may know of someone. Have you asked any of your local construction companies if they know of anyone?

pbocco
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by pbocco » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:34 am

well...we tried to do the adjustments yesterday with no positive results ! Now I am faced with the thought of getting it to a 2nd shop for adjustment and/or expensive repair. Things are really pointing to the first repair shop NOT doing the right side overhaul correctly ! Bummer !