straight 450 steering clutch removal

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jonfitz
MC crawler
MC crawler

straight 450 steering clutch removal

Post by jonfitz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:10 pm

HI folks, I am new to the forum. Lots of great articles. I have a 1965 Straight 450 crawler loader, gas engine. Just trying to pull the steering clutches. The dozer hasn't moved much in the last couple of years, it was parked in a shed. Left clutch housing is really rusty. I can't get the pinion shaft to budge, not even a bit. Right side is a little bit better, got the pinion shaft out, but the drive shaft is rusted in place. I am using a slide hammer to try and get things moving. Not sure if there is another trick? Or is it just get a bigger (slide) hammer???? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. I have the SM2064 service manual as well as the parts manual.
JD 450 gas crawler loader

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: straight 450 steering clutch removal

Post by LeonardL » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:41 am

If you search the archives here on the forum there will be a lot of good info on removing the dry clutches and brakes on your machine. It has been like forever since I was last inside a 450. Most of my experience is with the 350's and 400G's. However that being said I have had to soak some machines to soften the rust enough to get it to turn loose. This is a bit radical to do however and you might want to try a good spray on penetrant first. Let them soak for a while before trying your slide hammer.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

jonfitz
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jonfitz » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:29 pm

I have the same machine, straight 450 crawler loader with the gas engine. same situation, trying to remove the steering clutches. I am stuck at the inner drive shafts, both are badly rusted in, basically impossible to remove. I have read the other posts as well, very informative but still no luck.

My question is: can I remove the final drive assembly and then the steering clutch housing assembly and then get at the drive shafts? I realize this is a ton of work.

At this point I am really frustrated and my other option is to slap in a new set of brake bands, put it all back together, and sell it with bad clutches. Might be the smarter move in the long run, as it needs complete new clutches and pressure plates and all the other bits as well as sprockets and track chains.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
JD 450 gas crawler loader

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:51 am

Yes, you can remove the final drive to access the steering clutch. With the final off you will have better access to pull the drive shaft from the steering clutch, as the end of the shaft will be exposed. I don't believe you can get the housing off without removing the steering clutch for access to the mounting capscrews. Separation instructions should be in your manual.