1972 350B reverser issues

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
JGoodwin
MC crawler
MC crawler

1972 350B reverser issues

Post by JGoodwin » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:22 pm

I am a brand new JD 350 owner. Got the machine a few weeks ago. I purchased it a few weeks ago with the idea that the final drive clutches were slipping. I wasn't too scared of that job. I got it home and realized it is the reverser clutches. The forward clutch is shot, the reverse clutch work when cold. As the machine warms up the reverser starts to whine and it starts slipping. It runs great when cold and the forward clutch even hold a little when cold.
It seemed to be getting better with use, that machine sat for years before I purchased it, but yesterday I ventured out back where I intend to clear pasture for cows (reason I bought the machine) and it started slipping and whining bad. Got caught between two stumps and it is stuck now. I will try today with it cold to see if it will come home.
Question is what fluid does the reverser require? I have a copy of the manual, but it is missing the section on the reverser.
What is involved in changing the clutches? I can find parts available, but can't find any information on what is involved in the job. Trying to decide if I tackle this myself or drop it off at the repair shop.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 1972 350B reverser issues

Post by original possum » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:59 pm

Before you tear into it change the filter (four bolts on the side) and the oil. Use Deere hydraulic oil. If the filter is collapsed or deteriorated (paper filters do that) you may need to change the oil more than once. It shouldn't be "getting better" if the clutch is really shot.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:03 pm

And BTW, if you put the reverser in forward with the clutch in, pull both steering clutch handles, then let the clutch out, and then let the handles go you may get a little more out of it and get it back to the house.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:08 pm

Is the manual you have John Deere Technical Manual publication # TM1032? If so in "Section 10- General" there should be a called "Group 25 -Separation" where you can find info on how to get to the reverser and remove it. Do the service as original possum posted. I suggest you do the diagnostics (in (Section 50 - Power Train, Group 5 - Diagnostics) as well before diving into it, something other than clutches may be wrong, and it is better to know rather than a second teardown to fix another issue. You will need the manual's reverser group (Section 50 - Power Train, Group 20 - Reverser) to overhaul the reverser. You can see if you dealer, or someone, will copy that section for you, you might get lucky. Lavoy sells manuals, and a complete manual will be to your benefit.

Hy-Gard is the current official JD name for their oil/fluid. Any other UTHF (Universal Transmission Hydraulic Fluid) you chose to use should meet or exceed JD's J20C specification. If your book says use 303, disregard that as it is an outdated spec and no one produces a true 303 fluid, even though some claim to.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 am

I carry the clutch packs as well as some other parts.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com