John Deere 450c steering clutch adjustment

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Martin0804
40C crawler
40C crawler

John Deere 450c steering clutch adjustment

Post by Martin0804 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:53 pm

Hey guys, I’m having some issues with my machine. When the machine is cold it’s running great. About an hour into pushing dirt, and I’m loosing power on my right hand track. I’m going to assume the clutch isn’t fully engaging and causing slippage. What is the procedure for adjusting this. I’ve read through the service manual write up a couple of times and it’s just not clicking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: John Deere 450c steering clutch adjustment

Post by Jim B » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:16 pm

I asked some questions when you posted about this last month that the answers to might help people help you. Here is a copy of my post:

"Good afternoon.

You are 100% sure it is a C with wet clutches? I only ask as the 450s seem to have a habit of turning up with C decals on them because people don't understand the serial number system when they get repainted. The 450 steering clutches are different than the 450C steering clutches and that has caused confusion in the past.

First question is do you have the John Deere Technical Manual (TM1102)and Operator's Manual (OMT62743) for your machine? I ask as you need those to guide you through doing the engine clutch and valve adjustments first, then the steering clutch and brake adjustments. These need to be done in the order given in the technical manual, and done completely, for the systems to work properly. While you are at it adjust the HLR linkage as well. The linkages have been know to get out of alignment with the gates and that has lead to unexpected movement for some. Once you know the linkages and adjustments are correct, you can go from there to diagnose your problem, if it still exists. I would recommend starting your own post with the info related to your machine rather than tagging on to an old post.
Jim"

Now. What is your entire serial number? Being sure of the series being discussed is critical. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but we have been down that road several times with people saying they have a 450C only to find out it isn't. The wet clutches in a C series are oil applied and when you pull the lever back the oil is dumped and the clutch releases. The dry clutches are the old pressure plate and throwout bearing arrangement. The adjustment procedures are in the Technical Manual step by step, it is several pages if it is like the 450E manual I have ( I don't have a 450C, so don't have that manual.), more than I want to type out here. If the manual you have is not the right one for your crawler, it is possible the adjustment procedure in it may not be right. If the manual you have is not JD # TM1102, what brand and publication number is it?

Good to see you started your own post about this. Also your 450 model posts belong on the Late Models Board. Just so you know, this will likely be moved over there when a moderator sees it.

Martin0804
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Martin0804 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Serial number of the machine is 302884t. And yes I have the proper manual.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Thank you for confirming it is a 450C, so it has wet steering clutches. When the engine is running they are pressurized during operation with oil from the transmission oil system, through the steering control valves under the seat. Pulling a lever (or stepping on a pedal if you have pedal steer) moves the valve, which then dumps the oil going to that clutch, disengaging it. The adjustment procedure is basically synchronizing the lever throw to the steering valve, then synchronizing the brake application.

If the clutch is slipping, as the machine warms, it is likely a seal leaking in my thoughts. I would expect a leaking hose or fitting inside the steering clutch compartment to be a more consistent slipping. The diagnostic section should have some info on how to check for clutch leakage. It will involve checking pressures. Wet clutches don't experience a lot of the wear, rusting, and sticking problems dry clutches are prone to. They can wear out but I think low pressure or a leak are the first things to check.

What are you running for oil in the transmission and when was the transmission sump screen last cleaned and transmission filter last changed? Not likely the issue, since you only report the one steering clutch slipping, but a question to be asked.

Martin0804
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Martin0804 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:28 am

Thanks for the response. I actually just changed oil and checked the screen on this machine. The screen was plugged! I’ve also recently done the hlr adjustment procedure. Something interesting happened while I was doing this procedure. With the pressure gauge installed, whenever I pulled the lever associated with the clutch in question, I would gain an extra 20 psi on the gauge. This hose you mention, is it accessible easily through the top? Or does the whole top portion of the machine need to be removed ?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:58 am

Take a look at the cover on your 450C and look at what is in the way. Then see if you think you can work on a hose down inside the compartment with just the cover off. I could be wrong, I won't say it is impossible, but I believe it will be a challenge.

Martin0804
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Martin0804 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:56 am

I had a good look at it yesterday. Looks like I’ll be removing the fuel tank for sure, and more then likely the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Thanks for guiding me in the right direction.

Martin0804
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Martin0804 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:08 am

Hey guys, there seemed to be 15 posts with a similar problem to mine, that were left open ended. So just to help the next guy along:
Symptoms: no movement in one track, and while doing hlr adjustment, the pressure on the gauge would increase substantially when the lever to cut power to that track was pulled.

Solution: remove seat and fuel tank. Pry up hydraulic tank and support on boards on the track. Remove steering clutch housing cover. There will be a hose that goes from the steering spool to the clutch itself. Mine had a giant hole in it.

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Martin0804 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:08 am
There will be a hose that goes from the steering spool to the clutch itself. Mine had a giant hole in it.
And yet it still performed well when cold? (When the machine is cold it’s running great. About an hour into pushing dirt, and I’m loosing power on my right hand track.)
'99 450G 6-Way

Martin0804
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Martin0804 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:54 am

Doing light work with the machine the other track kept up just fine

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:01 am

Glad to hear you found the problem and got it fixed. Leaks can get worse as the temperature goes up and oil thins. I expect it was slipping some cold and just became more apparent as things warmed up.