Welding on "side grousers" to prevent side slipping.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Welding on "side grousers" to prevent side slipping.

Post by Cle Elum John » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi
I am using a 450 to clear ice/snow from a very steep driveway. It wants to slide sideways on a couple of switchbacks. Because of the drop off, any loss of control is more than a little uncomfortable. My neighbor said he heard of people welding a short grouser on the shoe pointed fwd/aft too keep it from sliding sideways. Are there any drawbacks to adding that extra side grouser for general use on dirt?

More questions. Where can I find the grouser material? Is it hardened steel or will some construction grade steel (like A36) do the job? Where does the grouser actually go? On the track center line would be my first attempt. Putting it on the outboard or inboard edge may make more sense. Should there be one at every grouser, every other one or every third? Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks
John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Welding on "side grousers" to prevent side slipping.

Post by gregjo1948 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:23 am

I think I'd center it so as not to tip the pad higher to the inside or outside. It might wear the sprockets, rollers and idlers unevenly. Probably wouldn't bother much in snow or mud but on harder surfaces it might.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:29 am

Hi,

The original ice/snow option were ice caulks to replace the pad bolts. Both easier and better than welding.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:06 am

Many steel suppliers can get grouser bar stock. It is available in different sizes and is hardened. A web search for "grouser bar stock" should bring up some info for you. I don't know that I would weld any at 90 degrees to the existing grousers on the pads. I think that could cause turning issues in some dirt conditions and if the same height or higher than the pad grousers could reduce pushing traction on ice or hard pack. Lower than the pad grousers would not help in a side slip on ice.

The ice caulks to replace the pad bolts that Stan posted would be best, the tips grip in all directions. The next thing is if you can find them (and afford them if you do find them). You might remove one bolt per pad, get some bolts that will stick up past your grousers a bit and replace the removed pad bolts with those. If you can get them in threads up you could stack a couple nuts on them to beef them up. I have welded nuts or short bolts (like 1/2 x 1/2) to the top of grousers (staggered, staying within the outside width of the chains) to make caulks before; not ideal but it helped and didn't have to take them of when spring came. I think what ever you do for ice and hard pack snow should be like a point, not a straight bar.
Jim

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mikeforester » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:39 am

Hi,
Check these out:

https://montanatrackclaws.com/

Seems like a good idea and they're removable in the off season. Welding on grousers is not much fun.

Mike

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:18 am

In searching for caulks like Stan mentioned, I had seen their ad before and they do look interesting. Contacting them would be needed to confirm they make them for single grouser bar pads. From their ads it looks to me like they are only showing them on triple bar pads as found on loaders and excavators. If they do have them for single bar pads, it looks like one would need snow pads (or other pads with cleanout holes) as they show mounting in cleanout holes. At $85 per unit (their advertised starting price) if you, put 9 units on a side (which would be every 4th pad for 18 units total), that would be $1530 plus shipping. Not inexpensive, but cheaper than damaging a machine and possible injury, or worse. It would be interesting to hear from someone actually running these on a 450 class crawler with single grouser pads. Just my thoughts.
Jim

Edit: I went to their site again and found I missed the video of a claw being installed on a single bar pad (much larger machine than a 450), so the only question would be; do they make them sized for a 450 with open center pads. Sorry I missed that before.
Jim

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:07 pm

scottyb has a post on here about using bolts for traction aids on his 350 with good results