JD 550-C

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Lamberte2018
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 550-C

Post by Lamberte2018 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:56 am

I was recently passed down a year 70's or so JD 550-C crawler. After replacing some fuel lines and changing motor and trans oils a couple times the machine runs great, however no power going forwards, it tracks forward but a small stone or incline will stop it from moving. Reverse seems ok. Its only building trans pressure to about 50 maybe 60 on the pressure gauge.
I am taking it to a diesel mechanic, however I don't want to be sold a transmission if the problem seems more simple. I have heard the C models are more extensive trans repairs. Any advise would put my mind at ease. I have no problem paying $10,000 for trans rebuild, if thats what it needs.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 550-C

Post by Jim B » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:52 pm

I would say be sure all the diagnostics and adjustments are done fully, and in the order laid out in the manual, before tearing into it. If you or the mechanic don't have the correct technical manual(s) for your machine, purchase the correct ones (either from Lavoy or from John Deere).

As far as I know and by the on line JD parts catalog there was no 550-C model. According to the parts catalog the C in your identification/serial number is for crawler configuration. The C means it has a 6405 blade. There is a listing of 550 serial numbers by year on this site's FAQ Board.