350B Diesel Engine Oil

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
EHood
40C crawler
40C crawler

350B Diesel Engine Oil

Post by EHood » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:58 am

After a complete rebuild I am re filling the fluids. Started at the front and working back but hit a stall at the engine oil. I must say the engine is the only thing on this machine that was not completely rebuilt. Capacities in the manual call for 9 quarts, I currently have 5 quarts in it and am showing about a quart overfilled. The filter is new and the engine has not been cranked yet. I have removed the dipstick tube to see if it could be adjusted to no avail. I have checked the parts catalog to find the dipstick I have is the correct one. The machine is sitting on a concrete floor that is all buy perfectly level. Any thoughts?

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: 350B Diesel Engine Oil

Post by Al Swearengen » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:14 pm

Engine swapped at some point that had a different pan?
'99 450G 6-Way

EHood
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by EHood » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:41 pm

I will check into the different pan or different engine. Would it surprise anyone that they made both a 9 quart pan and a 5 quart pan? I will try and get a serial number. Everything on this crawler seems to be factory, but I suppose there could have been a swap of some kind. I was thinking that the screw in tube for the dipstick had been changed?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:01 am

I don't recall ever seeing a five quart pan on any of these Deere three cylinders. I'm not saying they don't exist I'm just saying I've never seen one. Even the Ag tractors take nine quarts of oil.

I would look your pan over really close. Make sure the bottom hasn't been caved in or like you mentioned the dipstick tube has been replaced with the wrong one or has had something done to it.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

EHood
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by EHood » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:12 am

Thanks for the response, the pan looks like new, I cleaned and painted it during this process so am sure it has not been caved in. The dipstick has the proper part number engraved so I don't think that is the problem but the tube cannot be verified. Unless of course someone can measure one known to be correct. It would be easy to make a new one if I could get the measurement?

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:35 am

It should measure roughly 6-3/8" from the block to the top edge of the tube. Some of these tubes have a slight bend end them so I would have to go dig my book out to get the exact measurement. But that should get you close. They are threaded pretty far up so someone could have screwed it in too far and caused it to read less.

The only other thing I can think of is it may have had an engine swap at some point as was mentioned. But I personally have never seen one of these with less than nine quarts in them. Deere engines have been used by other manufacturers on their equipment. So they may have had a smaller pan on their application. I've seen guys take engines out of air compressors, asphalt rollers and other equipment and swap them over to these crawlers and Ag tractors. Your pan should look physically deep on the front part of the pan and then taper back pretty shallow to the rear. If that makes any sense.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

EHood
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by EHood » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:15 am

Thanks Leonardt, great info. Lets take this in reverse. The pan looks correct as you indicated. While waiting for responses I looked in my parts cat to see there were several tubes depending on serial numbers, while all of them used the same dipstick. I cannot find a number on the tube but the dipstick is correct. I also started probing around the hole without the tube in it with the dipstick to try and determine how short the tube appeared. Your measurement of 6 3/8" would make this work correctly if I had to guess as I have not filled the pan to 9 quarts. My tube is only 4 3/8" with it just screwed into the block by a nuts length. I now believe, with your help, this is the problem. My plan for a lack of a better one is to fill the pan with 9 quarts run the engine to fill the filter and make a new tube so the dipstick can read correctly. Thanks again for all your help!

Just for background, I have installed one of Lavoy's upgraded Isolators as mine was worn out. Of course I didn't want the old starter meshing with a new ring gear so I replaced the starter. All this led me to change the rear main seal as I had the reverser out to change clutches there. I chose to have the reverser professionally rebuilt including output shaft. That led me to changing the input shaft of tranny as well as new bearings and seals. Which got me back to my original problem which was the steering clutches. I ended up rebuilding both finals with clutches and brakes. When i purchase this crawler a few years back the fuel injector pump was bad so I replaced that then with a rebuilt. I had also purchased new track chains at that time so during this rebuild they will be replaced. i have changed all the bottom rollers, upper rollers, idlers and rebuilt the track adjusters. All worn pins have been replaced, and of course everything got a new coat of correct JD Paint.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:26 am

Wow! To start with... that is all dizzying to say the least. It would have been easier to say what you haven't done. :shock: :D However... sounds like you have done this up right. Which if a person is going to do it, then do it right. All or nothing I say. But again that's me. I realize not everyone has the money to do everything and it's all they can do to keep one running. Still... if a person can then they should.

I would say the dipstick tube is your issue. They should screw in deeper than what you say yours is for sure. I don't know how much but enough to give it a secure fitting and then what ever it takes to get your correct depth.

EHood
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by EHood » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:02 pm

Thanks again, someday when I quit building I will post some pics. Right now I have to hit the garage for the afternoon. Again thanks a lot, I have a tendency to believe things are right until proven not to be so lengthening this tube would have caused me some considerable grief without knowing it was wrong.