Jd 350 boom cylinder disassembly

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
JSmith
40C crawler
40C crawler

Jd 350 boom cylinder disassembly

Post by JSmith » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi. The boom cylinder on one side of my 350 developed a pretty major leak this past fall and I am trying to fix it over the winter. I pulled the cylinder and unthreaded an outer ring which was somewhat stripped. Now how do I disassemble the cylinder? It looks like there is a snap ring in there? Its not like other cylinders I have repaired. Thanks

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: Jd 350 boom cylinder disassembly

Post by Mikeforester » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:42 am

Hi,

Tap the gland in a little with a wooden block and hammer to expose the snap ring (be careful not to damage threads on gland). Use a pick and remove the snap ring. Clean out the snap ring area with a wirebrush or scotch-rite pad real good so you don't damage the gland or piston when removing them. The rod, gland and piston all come out together after that.

Mike

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:45 am

I can't see your cylinder but it sounds like you have the type where the gland nut holds the gland (I think you may find this part called the rod guide in some manuals) out against that snap ring to remove any play and to keep the gland from moving into the barrel during operation. That internal snap ring is actually the only part that keeps the gland from blowing out during operation for this type cylinder.

Remove the gland nut, as you have said you have done, then carefully tap the gland deeper into the barrel to get room to remove the snap ring, which can be a pain to do. Once you have the snap ring out you should be able to pull the rod out. The piston on the rod will bring the gland out. When you assemble it you have to tap the gland, like you did during disassembly to have room to install the snap ring. After the snap ring is in place, pull on the rod to use the piston to bump the gland out and into contact with the snap ring, then install tighten and gland nut.

Hope this helps. The right manual should have explained that, although I know in some cases the manual writers expect mechanics already have that info and might not include it. If you don't have a manual you might want to contact Lavoy and see what he has.

JSmith
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JSmith » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:54 am

Thanks for the replies. I have a shop manual but it doesn't go into details about the cylinder disassembly for whatever reason. I should be able to take care of it now though. Thanks again and I'll be back here if I have any other problems.