350B crawler loader. Undercarriage?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ELT2JV
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B crawler loader. Undercarriage?

Post by ELT2JV » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:37 am

Hello Folks,

I have a small farm and a sawmill that I put around with when not at my day job. I’m thinking of adding the biggest crawler loader I could move from the farm to the homestead behind my 3/4 ton Dodges, or 1 ton Ford no CDL. About 15 miles of flat land. Not looking to make a living with it, and I kinda like old stuff. I have the better part of a dozen old pieces of iron I keep in various stages of repair. Not new to fixing old stuff, but am brand new to tracked machines.

I was mentioning to my better half that I’d like to get a crawler loader for the farm, and she gave me the green light, right out of the gate! So, I’m reading and learning.

Out of nowhere, a 350B with a 4 in 1 bucket (love those things, my 580k has one) shows up at a decent price about an hour away. The owner claims the engine and undercarriage were rebuilt about 600 hrs ago.

The thing is, I’m in a real tight spot with time for the next few weeks. I just don’t have the tome to waste looking at something that to the knowledgeable eye, would not be “the one” based on a picture. If it needs a new undercarriage, I’m not interested. I can wait. On the other hand, if it seems reasonable, I’ll take the time to ride and look.

What I see in the pics is that the adjuster is a good ways out (4 inches by eyeball) and the tracks are still plenty loose. Also, the sprocket looks to be a bit too close to having pointed teeth for being replaced 600 hrs ago. That tells me that maybe some undercarriage parts were replaced, when they likely broke, but the undercarriage was not what I’d consider “rebuilt”. If what I suspect is true, it would follow that rail wear is high, etc, etc.

But maybe I’m all wrong. Have been before, and it’s likely I will again.

I can’t seem to post pics. Without pics, my post is all but useless.

I’m interested in your thoughts.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B crawler loader. Undercarriage?

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:51 pm

you have 2 choices on posting pictures...first is the site has a dedicated pic server..you need to read all the info listed in the instructions for the "dedicated picture server" located n the "Q&A forum" which show up at the bottom of the board index when you login to the crawler site..it tells how to contact Lavoy with your choice of login and password..he will then advise when updated..or you can use any other site like photo bucket to upload. you can also place a phone call to Lavoy..believe phone number shows up in his parts listing.
our server does NOT allow uploading pics directly from cell phones

advise any problems

email address is...postmaster@jdcrawlers.com
phone (701-361-1006)
Last edited by dtoots1 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ELT2JV
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ELT2JV » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:08 pm

Thank you dtoots1,

I was just browsing older posts where you were guiding others how to do this. It's getting to be a complicated world, but I appreciate the security measures. I emailed Lavoy the necessary info. I'll get a couple pics posted when approved.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:50 pm

sounds like you could be out in Big Country...helps if you add location in your profile...may well be someone close for help or parts...by the way Lavoy is in n.dakota and has most parts available for these old girls

get serial number of machine and will be able to get info needed.

(701-361-1006)..phone Lavoy