How much should I pay for this late 70's JD 750 Dozer

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
spencer2
MC crawler
MC crawler

How much should I pay for this late 70's JD 750 Dozer

Post by spencer2 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Spencer. I am new to the forum and was hoping you guys could help me determine the value of this JD 750 dozer. Its my neighbors and he's owned it for 7 years and says it runs good. He's a good guy and has been a very kind neighbor over the years, cleared a couple acres of mine with it. He is moving and wants to sell it. I would like to buy it but want to make sure that i offer him a fair price because I dont know much about these dozers. The undercarriage is about 70% and the machine has roughly 3500 hours on it. What would be a good fair price on a machine like this? Thank you in advance!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10geouV ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZrcTo5 ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nbLl0v ... sp=sharing

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: How much should I pay for this late 70's JD 750 Dozer

Post by Al Swearengen » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:38 am

Have you operated it yourself? Those pics aren't much help. Ask the owner what is the lowest he'd take and go from there. Prices for a comparable machine can be found online from various sources.
'99 450G 6-Way

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 am

It's pretty hard to judge much from those pictures. The undercarriage is completely impacted with dirt, which I consider a lack of maintenance. The spacing between the pads seems a bit large but the pictures are so far away it's really hard to tell.

What model is it? Narrow that down and there are 226 750 series on machinery trader to give you some comparisons to look at.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:18 am

Welcome to the Board.

I agree with Al on his points. Have you operated it yourself? (Are you familiar with operating heavy equipment, so you have a feeling for its performance?) The serial number can put you on, or close to the year, it was built. There is a serial number list for 750s on the FAQ Board.

A couple other things. You say the gentleman has owned it for about 7 years. That is 7 out of 40 plus years. Does he know for certain the 3500 hours is correct? Personally I doubt it is, that is less than 100 hours per year operating time over its life. Those electric hourmeters fail and are replaced regularly. Where I worked, I had to replace many meters that quit on equipment as the hours were tracked for maintenance scheduling. Do you know his maintenance history of it?

You say the undercarriage is 70%. Do you mean 70% of life remaining or 70% worn out? Is that number derived from someone properly measuring the undercarriage components or the visual looks/gut feeling of its wear, of who? I agree your pictures weren't much help in determining undercarriage condition (along with the mud on the track frames). From enlarging them, the sprockets appear to be pointed to me, which if true, indicates they are worn out, and the grousers are short. We can't see the position of the idler guides on the frames. For home/light farm use worn out undercarriages can be run a long time (aka run to destruction).

As Al posted, do some research on prices of others. I'll add check as near you as you can find as area can make a difference in prices. Then go talk with the guy and see what he is thinking. I would see what price he is thinking, before making an offer. It sounds like you have some good history with him, hopefully you can reach an agreement you both like. See where it goes.
Good luck,
Jim

spencer2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by spencer2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:26 am

Al Swearengen wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:38 am
Have you operated it yourself? Those pics aren't much help. Ask the owner what is the lowest he'd take and go from there. Prices for a comparable machine can be found online from various sources.
Sorry for the poor pictures. I figured what better place to get information on this dozer than a JDcrawler website, but thank you for the advice I will try and find some other sources to price compare.

spencer2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by spencer2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:37 am

77 Ford wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 am
It's pretty hard to judge much from those pictures. The undercarriage is completely impacted with dirt, which I consider a lack of maintenance. The spacing between the pads seems a bit large but the pictures are so far away it's really hard to tell.

What model is it? Narrow that down and there are 226 750 series on machinery trader to give you some comparisons to look at.
Sorry for the terrible pictures, I have an up close walk around video but I wasn't quite sure how to post that video on here. This one is a "750 D". After punching in the serial number of the machine on google, I found the old auction it was sold through. It doesn't say how much it sold for unfortunately but Here is the auction link to the machine with a bunch of pictures. What do you think of it looking at these? Also, I will check out machinery trader, thank you!

http://www.equipmentlocator.com/asp/eDe ... close/yes/

spencer2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by spencer2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:09 am

Jim B wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:18 am
Welcome to the Board.

I agree with Al on his points. Have you operated it yourself? (Are you familiar with operating heavy equipment, so you have a feeling for its performance?) The serial number can put you on, or close to the year, it was built. There is a serial number list for 750s on the FAQ Board.

A couple other things. You say the gentleman has owned it for about 7 years. That is 7 out of 40 plus years. Does he know for certain the 3500 hours is correct? Personally I doubt it is, that is less than 100 hours per year operating time over its life. Those electric hourmeters fail and are replaced regularly. Where I worked, I had to replace many meters that quit on equipment as the hours were tracked for maintenance scheduling. Do you know his maintenance history of it?

You say the undercarriage is 70%. Do you mean 70% of life remaining or 70% worn out? Is that number derived from someone properly measuring the undercarriage components or the visual looks/gut feeling of its wear, of who? I agree your pictures weren't much help in determining undercarriage condition (along with the mud on the track frames). From enlarging them, the sprockets appear to be pointed to me, which if true, indicates they are worn out, and the grousers are short. We can't see the position of the idler guides on the frames. For home/light farm use worn out undercarriages can be run a long time (aka run to destruction).

As Al posted, do some research on prices of others. I'll add check as near you as you can find as area can make a difference in prices. Then go talk with the guy and see what he is thinking. I would see what price he is thinking, before making an offer. It sounds like you have some good history with him, hopefully you can reach an agreement you both like. See where it goes.
Good luck,
Jim

Hey Jim, I appreciate you taking the time to assess this machine even given the poor quality of the pictures, sorry about that. My heavy equipment experience is VERY little. I have used a rental excavator quite a bit in the past but never a dozer so I did operate the dozer after him giving me a quick tutorial and he had a pile of logs I moved with it but to be honest I wasn't sure what to look for.

I think you are right about the hours after hearing what you have to say. Here is the auction link of the machine where he bought it from with better pictures and some more information. I found it by googling the serial number. http://www.equipmentlocator.com/asp/eDe ... close/yes/

The neighbor says it 70% remaining and I think he got that number from the auction he bought it from. Would you mind taking a look at the auction pictures and let me know what you think? He told me that he wants $15,000. Told him that I would need to think about it (quite frankly Im not sure if that's a good or bad price, Ignorance on my part). Im seeing similar machines in the price range of 7,000-16,000. By no means am I a know it all, so ANY information for a dozer newbie like myself is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
-Spencer

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:29 am

My guess from looking at those auction pictures is someone has put sprocket on it. The bushing are heavily worn, the track adjusters look like they are at the ends of their travel, the links look short and the spacing between the track pads is seems high. You can measure the pins and see to verify but my guess is that undercarriage is shot. If you're using the machine for yourself and not putting 40 hours a week on it, it could last years though. I also think that machine has been stored outside it's whole life from all the fade. Which means you'll have to get the oil sorted as it's probably has water in it and have many hydraulic hoses to replaces from UV degradation.

What is your intent for the machine? How many hours are you planning on using it a month/year? Some people use them for a few months to do a project or two and then sell them.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:05 am

I agree with 77 Ford on the tracks and undercarriage. If he has not done undercarriage work in the 7 years he has had it, it certainly has not gotten better, so even if 70% then it is less than 70% of new, or more than 70% worn now. I am guessing the 70% listed for the auction was a guess/wishful thinking for the listing, not from an actual measurement assessment.

I believe there is a 3 (5 or 8 maybe) at the end of the serial number (a 750 serial should have 6 digits) you posted, from looking at the auction picture. Making it a 1978 machine. It is a straight 750, it not a 750D, the D just means it has an angle blade in this case, per the JD parts Catalog. Personally, I think it has way more than 3500 hours on it. Another thing that gives a hint of usage is to look at the grip ribs on the pedals where an operator's feet would wear them, there is more wear than I would expect to see in 3500 hours. The sheet metal in the rear shows it was used.

All that considered, you found some prices on line. He is on the high side of those you found so far. It may be a fine machine and go a long time for you as it is. It still comes down to whether or not you and he can reach a price that is agreeable to both of you. It is strange but often these old, larger machines bring lower prices than the smaller ones, like the 450 models. Fewer people want/need them and moving them is an issue for many. This will be a lowbed, or dump truck and heavy tag trailer, move not a one ton and gooseneck (in the 30,000 lbs. plus range).
Jim

spencer2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by spencer2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:16 am

77 Ford wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:29 am
My guess from looking at those auction pictures is someone has put sprocket on it. The bushing are heavily worn, the track adjusters look like they are at the ends of their travel, the links look short and the spacing between the track pads is seems high. You can measure the pins and see to verify but my guess is that undercarriage is shot. If you're using the machine for yourself and not putting 40 hours a week on it, it could last years though. I also think that machine has been stored outside it's whole life from all the fade. Which means you'll have to get the oil sorted as it's probably has water in it and have many hydraulic hoses to replaces from UV degradation.

What is your intent for the machine? How many hours are you planning on using it a month/year? Some people use them for a few months to do a project or two and then sell them.
Thank you for the reply. This is a wealth of knowledge. I am building a shop on my property and will be doing some site prep with it along with clearing some more land with it. Once complete, I won't be using it much besides gravel road maintenance a few times a year and helping my neighbors if they ever need help. Thank you again, has been very insightful!
-Spencer

spencer2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by spencer2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:30 am

Jim B wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:05 am
I agree with 77 Ford on the tracks and undercarriage. If he has not done undercarriage work in the 7 years he has had it, it certainly has not gotten better, so even if 70% then it is less than 70% of new, or more than 70% worn now. I am guessing the 70% listed for the auction was a guess/wishful thinking for the listing, not from an actual measurement assessment.

I believe there is a 3 (5 or 8 maybe) at the end of the serial number (a 750 serial should have 6 digits) you posted, from looking at the auction picture. Making it a 1978 machine. It is a straight 750, it not a 750D, the D just means it has an angle blade in this case, per the JD parts Catalog. Personally, I think it has way more than 3500 hours on it. Another thing that gives a hint of usage is to look at the grip ribs on the pedals where an operator's feet would wear them, there is more wear than I would expect to see in 3500 hours. The sheet metal in the rear shows it was used.

All that considered, you found some prices on line. He is on the high side of those you found so far. It may be a fine machine and go a long time for you as it is. It still comes down to whether or not you and he can reach a price that is agreeable to both of you. It is strange but often these old, larger machines bring lower prices than the smaller ones, like the 450 models. Fewer people want/need them and moving them is an issue for many. This will be a lowbed, or dump truck and heavy tag trailer, move not a one ton and gooseneck (in the 30,000 lbs. plus range).
Jim
I think you and 77 Ford bring up some very great points and things to pay attention to. That is good to know with the model number and serial number/year of production, very informative. The usage on the grip ribs on the pedals is something I never would have paid attention to but is a great point. If I do buy it, I just want to make sure I can get close to what I pay for it in case I need to sell it down the road after my projects are complete and I now feel a bit more educated on what I am lookin at. You guys are right and I think it is a heavily used machine but still might serve me well for my limited amount of projects. Thanks for the knowledge and I appreciate your help.
All the best,
-Spencer

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:47 am

Last thing I will add, getting a crawler is a bit addictive. I've said for years I would sell everything I own before my 450c she's my baby.....lol
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

spencer2
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by spencer2 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:01 pm

77 Ford wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:47 am
Last thing I will add, getting a crawler is a bit addictive. I've said for years I would sell everything I own before my 450c she's my baby.....lol
LOL let the addiction begin. Im going to need to join a crawler 12 step program before long