350C steering brake band

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
yokurto
40C crawler
40C crawler

350C steering brake band

Post by yokurto » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:20 pm

Hi guys i need a little assistance,

350C wet clutch. Would not turn left when i bought it, i pulled the inspection plug on each side and the left side was adjusted completely tight. and the right side the stud is just poking out of the adjusting nut. i read some back posts on here and there seemed to be quite a few guys that experienced bands that would break at the welded ear. so i figured i had a bad band and pulled the final to inspect. the band was not broke but the lining was in pretty bad shape. I ordered a new band on ebay (yes I tried to get through Lavoy but he was out of stock) and the new band showed up , looked good quality and i installed it and put the final drive back on. Here is my issue, it still doesn't "feel" right. i had to adjust the nut to where a bit more than 5/8" of the stud is sticking out of the adjusting nut to where it feels like the right side when i apply the brake. I popped the cover off the right side and compared it to the left. I thought maybe i had some wear or something in the linkage wrong, everything looks the same for the most part. Yet the right side appears to have lots of adjustment to go and the left side is just about all the way adjusted on a new band. I did not measure the lining thickness when i got it it seemed good quality and quite a bit of lining i thought. any ideas from you guys is it just that the lining material on the new band is not as thick as the stock or are we finding wear in linkage that i did not see?
appreciate input from anyone that has dealt with this
Thanks

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350C steering brake band

Post by Jim B » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:10 pm

Using the Technical manual TM1115 for the 350C, have you checked, and made where needed, every steering and brake measurement/adjustment, on both sides, in the order laid out in the manual? If not, I would say start by doing that, not just going by the looks and feel of things. I believe the wet brakes are self adjusting after being indexed properly.

yokurto
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by yokurto » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:02 pm

No I have not, the tech manual I have ( it’s in the shop I will check and see which # it is tomorrow)is weak at best explaining brake adjustment. Thanx

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:01 am

You for sure want to do as Jim has suggested. That being said I do have a couple of things for you to check if you can still get to it. The adjusting nut threads onto a stud leading out of the yoke that activates the brake mechanism. What I have seen is these studs will back out of the yoke causing it to protrude further away from the yoke. This causes your issue. You have to run the nut down further on the stud to get the tension you need at the brake band.

I would say from past experience with aftermarket brake bands, if it is anything it will be thicker than OEM Deere bands. I'm not saying it can't be thinner I'm just saying that the ones I have used were always a bit thicker at the linings.

You also want to make darn sure you have the engagement pawls engaging the band as they should. I've seen where one pawl would be out of position and it will cause your adjustment to be off and your brake will feel spongy or not right.

As memory serves those studs should be threaded all the way to where they are flush with the inside surface of the yoke. I use red lock tight to make sure they stay in place.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

yokurto
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by yokurto » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:04 am

Thanks Leonard, I did see that the right side thread is flush with the yoke and the left side has 1 thread visible so it is out further but not by much. And I read in the forums just what you had stated that most guys were finding the linings to be thicker not less
Thanx

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:23 am

If it is only a thread or two then that is normal and you're right it won't make any difference. If both of your engagement pawls are in place then I think you will find something in your other adjustments as Jim suggested.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

yokurto
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by yokurto » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:06 pm

I checked my manual and it is TM1115. I made adjustments per the manual and it didnt change things. if i were to put this back tyogehter i would be out of adjustment very quickly. the rear pawl pin is about 1/4" from the front of the elongated hole in the mount. pulling on teh brake brings it within and 1/8th or so. So in my mind i only have an 1/8" of adjustment before the pin bottoms on the mount and brake action would be inhibited at that point. I am thinking the lining on the band that i purchased is just to thin.
My tractor is serial is 350CE 245058T and 1 thing i did notice is that the band that i removed had a JD part # T-43428 which searching brings up nothing and JD parts manual lists the band as being #AT142174 . My brake/clutch hub is recessed where the band goes around it. Is that normal?? just wondering if previous owner could have chucked it up and turned it if it was badly worn??? grasping at straws i guess
Hate to put this thing back together knowing that there is VERY little adjustment on a brand new band.

Thanx

yokurto
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by yokurto » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:43 pm

Well, time to eat some crow.... the band was out of adjustment because I installed something incorrectly. Not sure what it was but it is fixed . I pulled the final back off and inspecting the brake anchor I didn't notice anything out of whack. I took all the parts in the shop and assembled the band on the anchor paying close attention to the struts ( I suspect the rear strut came out of the band ) and it tightened up the way I expected it to . Re-assembled on the tractor and now the stud does not protrude the adjusting nut so we are all good. Bonehead move on my part, well I guess it would be bonehead if I did not reinspect my work and put it back into service.
Sorry to waste your time on solutions when it was human error .... shit happens

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:26 pm

yokurto wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:43 pm
Well, time to eat some crow.... .... shit happens
Crow is not bad when eaten with the sense of relief that you must have had with it!
'99 450G 6-Way

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Mistakes happen and no need to apologize for "Wasting Our Time." You didn't waist my time at all. It was six below zero when I was answering your first post so all I had going on was putting wood in the stove. :D I can't count the mistakes I made over the years and I looked at them as learning experiences. Some were not so pleasant and others were down right laughable. My Dad would always ask, "Did you learn anything?" And there were different tones of voice when he would ask that question depending on how stupid he thought the mistake was. Again, some were not so pleasant. Glad you got it sorted though. Always good to find the issue.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:30 pm

You didn't waste anyone's time. Glad you found the issue and it was a easy fix. On another side of this, If someone else has a similar problem you can say "check this", and maybe help them solve their problem. I have a number of those learned experiences as well.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:35 am

oops! is "oh oh.. potty stuff!"