JD350C clutch seals? (Thrust Washers - Solved)

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Tjgerow
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD350C clutch seals? (Thrust Washers - Solved)

Post by Tjgerow » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:15 pm

The diagram in the 350C parts catalog shows 2 seals (#13) on the end of the clutch.

I pulled my clutch to clean and flush the housing and noticed it only has one seal, see picture below.

Are two required per side?

Any watch outs or tips for installing the clutch back in the machine...seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks,
Tom
Last edited by Tjgerow on Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1978 350CE Dozer, 6-way blade

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD350C clutch seals?

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:36 pm

It looks to me like you have two seal rings showing in your picture, plus the one seal. The two seal rings you are looking at in that drawing are item key 13 (part # R39322) in both serial number range steering clutch drawings. They are similar to piston rings and are in the grooves of the housing in your picture. The one flat seal (gray brown color) setting on the top of the shoulder, shows up in the "Differential or Bevel Gear" drawing in the parts book as item key # 1 (part # AT43688), one on each side. I may be wrong, but that's how I interpret the seals from the parts book and your pictures. Someone else should be along to confirm or correct.

Tjgerow
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Tjgerow » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:42 pm

I saw those two rings on the clutch when I was taking the picture. I rotated them so the "joints" are 180 degrees apart. But i didnt put two and two together to associate them with the parts in the diagrams. :?

Thanks Jim for the clarification, makes total sense now.

Regards,
Tom

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:47 pm

That brown ring is actually a wear surface between the clutch / brake drum and the differential. It keeps the two from running metal to metal. There is no oil seal to keep oil from moving between the associated housings on a wet clutch 350. The transmission, steering clutch housings and final drives all share a common oil system where all are lubricated by the same oil.

The two steel sealing rings are for clutch engagement purposes only. They seal the engagement manifold and the passages to the piston inside the clutch pack.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Tjgerow
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Tjgerow » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:55 pm

Im finally starting to re-assemble the dozer. I have the left side clutch and brake installed. To my surprise, I just found the brown ring in the picture on my bench. I was pretty sure it went to the clutch. Upon checking this post it is confirmed that the brown washer/ring does in fact go on the clutch I just installed. Luckily I noticed it before putting the final drive on.

The issue I have is that the right side clutch does not have this brown washer. I left that clutch in the dozer due to lack of room in my garage. I pulled it out today to clean the housing and also check if that ring was in it. No ring.

I don't see a part number in the parts manual for that ring and nothing is showing up online. I think the part JimB referenced, AT46388, is an actual oil seal that is pressed in. The part number on both sides of my dozer for that oil seal is: National 8892SSR.

Anyone have reference to a part number for the brown ring?

I was planning to get the tracks back on this weekend but I don't see that happening now.

Tjgerow
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Tjgerow » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:23 am

Posting an update. The black ring is a thrust washer and is shown in the parts manual in a different section (0210-2 - Ring Gear Assembly) than the clutch assembly.

Posted is a picture of the new thrust washers and the parts manual page, item #2.

The JD parts shown are the new part number R76674 that cross-references to the part number in the manual R52473. These were $7.50 each from my local Deere dealer.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD350C clutch seals? (Thrust Washers - Solved)

Post by Jim B » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:20 am

Interesting, those thrust washers don't show up in the on line parts catalog. Couldn't get either the old part number or the new one to come up for a 350 of any series in the on line catalogs.

Edit to correct info above: As CatD8RII pointed out in a post below, the washers are listed under the bearing housing item key number but are not illustrated with their own item key number.
Jim
Last edited by Jim B on Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tjgerow
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Tjgerow » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:57 am

Hi Jim,

What threw me off here was one clutch had the thrust washer and the other clutch did not. I assume someone forgot to put the other one in.

This started my search for a part number. I didn't initially find the thrust washer in my print manual as I was only looking in the clutch section. Leonard helped quit a bit and pointed out the washer is shown in Section 210 with the ring gear assembly.

A pic from the print manual is shown in the earlier post and lists the thrust washer. The online catalog I just checked doesn't show it.
The online version shows the seal and bushing with no thrust washer between them.

When I gave the part number to my local JD Dealer they came back with the R76674 part number. I compared it to the one I had and they were the same dimensions.

They are now installed in my dozer...hopefully this isn't an issue. Thoughts or concerns?

One thing I do notice is I can hear the clutches engaged with a soft "Clunk" sound, is this normal? This is my first dozer and I'm trying to learn what all the normal sounds are and what sounds are not good.

Also, an operation question, when pushing a load of dirt and turning to one side I am working the lever for the side I want to turn. The clutch seems to re-engage with some pretty good force. Is this normal? I assume so as the only pressure relief system is in the reverser when going from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. When engaging and disengaging the clutches via the levers it seems dependent on how smoothly you control the lever. I just want to make sure I'm not slamming something and end up breaking shafts, gears..etc. as I learn.

Thanks,
Tom

Tjgerow
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Tjgerow » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:00 pm

Adding a few more pictures with part numbers for future reference.

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:48 am

Good info in here.

Just an FYI, the thrust washers are listed online, but not illustrated. They're grouped under the bearing housings.

My parts book mentions them as well, and even says they're not illustrated.

Glad they fixed it somewhere along the line, it was confusing at best.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:09 am

Good catch on the washers in the online catalog. My error, in looking for them in the illustration, I missed that note.
Jim