After market engine numbers location

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
puzlrock
40C crawler
40C crawler

After market engine numbers location

Post by puzlrock » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:26 pm

I purchased a 450C that has an after market engine in it. I can find casting numbers on it but they seem to lead no where. Is there some place on the engine I should be looking?
Really enjoy this site, you have helped me with several issues and repairs. Thank Yoou

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: After market engine numbers location

Post by Jim B » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:12 pm

I guess I don't understand what you mean by an aftermarket engine. Do you mean it is not a John Deere engine? Or do you mean it is the proper size John Deere engine (4 cylinder 219 cu.in. turbocharged for a 450C) that was rebuilt by someone other than John Deere? If it is the right family JD engine, the serial number tag for the engine should be on the right side of the block, kind of between the fuel transfer pump and the end of the starter. If the block was replaced, it is not uncommon to end up with no tag on it. Or if the tag was removed from the original block, the info is gone. Some of the John Deere block casting numbers were the same for several engines in that engine group, so someone might remove the original tag if it was rebuilt as a different series than it was originally.

What info are you looking for? Maybe we can help if you let us know what you are looking for. Do you have the serial number for the crawler it self? That is generally the most important number.

puzlrock
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by puzlrock » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:22 am

Hello, The dozer is a 450c according to the serial number. I was told it was a aftermarket engine. It is turbo charged and runs strong. The tach doesn't work. The previous owner told me there wasn't a place to hook the tach to the engine. he didn't know where the engine came from. I heard that some of the aftermarket engines came off generators or some other application, I don't know if that is true. I have to pull the bull nose to replace the water pump, hoses, belt ect. I want to get the right parts before I tear it down. I was hoping there is a way to identify what engine I have.
Thank You,
puzlrock

puzlrock
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by puzlrock » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Hello, I found the little plate on the engine right where you said it would be. Someone had painted over it pretty heavy so I will get some paint remover and clean it off so I can read the numbers. I will be back when I get that.
Thanks for the help!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:15 pm

Not to say all are this way, but usually the components from the original engine have to be swapped to the replacement engine as the water pump, injection pump, and the housing at the rear of the block have to be changed as those often are different on engines used in generators, welders, and such. the casting numbers of the block and head may help rule some out.

I expect your water pump is the regular one for the 450C. If you can find a casting number on the water pump that might help you confirm it. Like wise the hoses and belt I expect are for the 450C.

I would not say you have an aftermarket engine. Aftermarket to me would mean it was built by some else to take the place of the John Deere engine. like aftermarket brake shoes, water pumps, or Harbor Freight engines for example. You have a used John Deere engine which may have come from a different application than a crawler. Someone may confirm this but I think the 4-219 was the first with a factory turbo. After that it would be the 4-239, 4-276. the most current are the 4039 series and 4045 series. We have a 2030 tractor with a 4039 in it in place of a 4-219. Basically the 4039 was stripped to the ends of the block and the 4-219 accessories were installed. So until we need to "get inside" the engine, the external parts are the regular 2030 ones. I expect your 450C will be the same.

The tach would have driven from the back end of the cam. If they didn't swap all the parts related to that drive during the engine change there won't be a place to drive the tach. You could find the parts and do it if you want, but it will take some research.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:16 pm

Looks like you posted while I was typing. report back with the complete info on that tag and we can go from there.
Jim

puzlrock
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by puzlrock » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm

Hello, I have the serial number for the dozer: 264170T. After cleaning up the tag on the engine I found it is a John Deere engine. Trying to find a match to the numbers I found has me baffled. The guy I bought it from said it had a aftermarket engine in it is about all I know.
The first characters I believe are: LD101, something had hit the tag and it isn't to clear on that part. The other six are clear, 552218. I believe the whole thing is: LD101 552218.
Thanks for the Help.
puzlrock

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:30 pm

Your crawler serial number, 264170, is a 1977 serial number. The T means it was built in Dubuque, Iowa.

As I said you don't have an aftermarket engine, you have a John Deere engine from a different application. The trick will be finding the right chart/list to decode that engine number. The L at the beginning may mean it is a Mannheim built engine. You could try talking to your JD construction equipment dealer and see if they can/will check that engine number for you. I will PM you an email you can use to send me a picture of the engine tag (and maybe a couple of the engine) and I will post it for you to see if anyone on the board recognizes it. Also if you found a casting number on the block please post it.

puzlrock
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by puzlrock » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Hello,
I have discovered a lot since my last post.

The engine SeriaI Number is: 4219DF-01-275484, the casting numbers on the block are R55011-R55034. It is 80 hp engine off a Sullair 185cfm air compressor. John Deere told me that the engines were sold to Sullair without serial numbers and the numbers on them were Sullair numbers. The casting numbers were significant in solving the mystery.

I found the guy that did the swap, he said all the parts were compatible except the tach drive. I guess I will address that some other time.

I was able to get my parts from Deere and I am ready to take the hard nose off and fix it.

Thank You for putting me on the right trail, I have found a lot of great information on this site. Hope what I found will help others.
Thanks!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:10 pm

Glad to hear you got info so you can move ahead with repairs, always good to hear the follow up to issues.

nelstomlinson
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by nelstomlinson » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:00 pm

Yes, thank you for updating this. It's really frustrating to start reading a thread and have it trail off with no resolution!