JD350C Final Drive Axle Spacers?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Tjgerow
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD350C Final Drive Axle Spacers?

Post by Tjgerow » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:07 pm

Looking for some clarification between the service manual and parts manual for a JD350C.

I checked the end play in the final drive axle and it was greater than the specs in the manual. The castle nut was also loose but still had the cotter pin in place, so I decided to pull it apart to inspect and clean the housing up.

When I was checking the end play I noticed the large final drive gear would slide on the axle shaft about 1/2" to 3/4" back and forth.
The Service Manual shows three parts that I do not have on my final drive axle:
  • Part 4 Outer Spacer, maybe its there and I can't see it?
  • Part 9a Snap Ring, definitely not installed
  • Part 9b Spacer, definitely not installed
Service Manual:

The parts manual only shows part 4 (spacer) and 9 (Snap Ring), but no 9b-spacer.

Parts Manual:

And here's my axle shaft.
I don't see a place that a snap ring (#9a) would go, and I don't see a spacer (#4) between the flange and bottom bearing:
1978 350CE Dozer, 6-way blade

Tjgerow
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: JD350C Final Drive Axle Spacers?

Post by Tjgerow » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:53 am

Maybe I've figured part of this out. :idea:

The service manual shows part "9A - snap ring ( -276370)".
I'm going to assume this means upto serial number 276370. Which would be mid 1977, based on the FAQ page with serial numbers.

But the spacer, "9b - spacer (276371- )" should be on all models from mid 1977 and newer.

My 350C is serial number 301414 (1978 model). So no snap ring but it should have the 9B spacer. The left side does not.

Can anyone confirm this?

I've been waiting to get the left side reassembled before pulling the right side, but at this point I think I'll pull the right side apart to see if its different from the left.

The third part is still a question, where is part "4 - spacer" because I don't see it on the actual axle shaft. :?

Tjgerow
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Tjgerow » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:01 am

Ok, on a closer inspection, the spacer part #4 is present.

It's rather narrow and if I'd pulled the bearing off it would have been obvious.

I'm slowly learning.

Still not sure about the spacer 9B.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:43 am

You have the basic idea. Here is how they describe the serial number as applied to the parts.

SERIAL NUMBER LISTING INFORMATION
SERIAL NUMBER INFORMATION IS LISTED TO SHOW ON WHICH MACHINES EACH PART CAN BE USED; FOR
EXAMPLE:
- THE PART CAN BE USED ON ALL MACHINES.
000000- THE PART CAN BE USED ON ALL MACHINES BEGINNING WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER LISTED.
-000000 THE PART CAN BE USED ON ALL MACHINES UP TO AND INCLUDING THE SERIAL NUMBER LISTED.
000000-000000 THE PART CAN BE USED ON ALL MACHINES BETWEEN AND INCLUDING THE SERIAL NUMBERS LISTED.

WHEN XXXXXX’S ARE LISTED IN PLACE OF A SERIAL NUMBER, A SERIAL NUMBER CHANGE WAS MADE BUT THE
EXACT SERIAL NUMBER WAS NOT AVAILABLE WHEN THE CATALOG WAS PRODUCED.

If you use the on line parts catalogs this, and some other info, is in the introduction section below the parts catalog index for most machines. It may be in the first few pages of the printed catalogs as well. The introduction section is were you find the breakdown and meaning of serial number components for the machine as well