350B Loader Pads

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Kaiverol
430 crawler
430 crawler

350B Loader Pads

Post by Kaiverol » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:25 am

I have read a lot of posts about the perils of using dozer pads on a loader. In the service manual the difference in weight per square inch on the pads is 50% more for the loader (that kind of puts the concern into perspective).Unfortunately my loader came with the dozer pads and I don’t really want to replace 72 pads. I also like the reasonable grip that is provided with the existing worn dozer pads.

Since I am replacing one of my rails, I bought some new pads to replace the worst ones. Comparing a new dozer pad to a worn pad certainly explains why you don’t want to them on a loader. So now that I see the difference, I feel that my existing pads are just the right compromise. However, I was not expecting new pad grousers to be so tall. Regardless of potential damage, the mismatch would no doubt cause all kinds of problems. I only bought ten pads that were going to be spaced randomly on both sides based on need. But, now I need to figure out what to do. My immediate thought is to torch some of the grouser off and use them.

Also, now that I looked at the new pads I see they don’t have center holes. So far I have not used the loader in the winter and all other use is in fairly mucky conditions. Will this be a problem?

Finally I noticed that the bolt holes are a smidgen larger the the super tight fitting stock pads. Is this going to be a problem ever, i.e. loose bolts? I’m sure I’m being too finicky about that.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B Loader Pads

Post by LeonardL » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:34 pm

Okay I have said this before and I will say it yet again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting dozer pads on a loader. I'm not sure where this myth got started but it is hog wash. Period! The loader pads were designed for street use or use in an area where low impact was needed. There is no reason why you can't or shouldn't use regular grouser style pads on a loader.

Most of these loaders both 350s and 450s either came with backhoes or at least were set up to have the option of a backhoe. They were targeted towards contractors and municipalities for their use in an urban environment. If you don't want to take my word for it then write or contact John Deere and ask them. In all of my years of working on these machines I have never had to work on one that was broken down because of them having dozer pads instead of loader pads.

To answer your bolt size difference, there are two sizes used depending on the rails you buy. There are half inch and nine sixteenths inch bolts used. So yes, if you put a half inch track bolt in a nine sixteenths inch whole it will eventually turn loose.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Kaiverol
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Kaiverol » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:13 pm

Thanks Leonard. That settles my worry that I should have loader pads. I’ll stay with what I got and be happy about it.

The bolt holes in question are still the same size (1/2”), but just a hair larger. I’m sure if torqued right they will be fine.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:54 am

I hate to do it but I feel compelled, my loader will always have 3 bar grouser pads. I cannot say with 100% certainty what john deere's position is on the matter however without question most loaders come with 3 bar grousers and most dozers come with dozer pads. Common sense tells me that a loader spends much more of it's life turning with a load (in the bucket) and trying to slide on the ground. It also tells me that a dozer pad is going to be much harder on the ground and track components.

Do people do it? Yes. Would I change a machine that had them for hobby use that does not need a full replacement? No. If I had to buy all new chains and pads, I would put 3 bar grousers on it.

I hate to disagree with a fellow Missourian but that's my opinion.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:46 am

No offense taken!! We can respectfully disagree and still be fellow Missourians. I was born and raised in Iron county so maybe a bit of iron ore in my blood. Well... that and Scotch Irish, Welsh and German... :shock: :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:34 am

Having randomly spaced high grousers may make for a very rough ride if you are on firm ground

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:14 pm

Just cut down the new pads to match. Or send me your new ones and I’ll send some matching used ones back.

Growser pads are more aggressive than street. Your pads are worn enough to not cause you a problem.

Just take it easy when turning and you won’t have issues.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Kaiverol
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Kaiverol » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:14 am

I will cut the grousers a bit. Pretty well could picture how bad the ride would be with new high grousers here and there. Also can appreciate how bad they would dig in and cause strain on the rest of the machine.

racingjoe66
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by racingjoe66 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:01 am

On a 1974 350B crawler loader with the 3 cleat pad. What is the brand new height of the cleats? I am looking at a loader to buy now and they are at 3/8", just want to see how much they are worn as the owner is trying to say they weren't very high to begin with. Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:57 pm

Way taller than 3/8", that is less than the height of a new bolt head if using domed head bolts.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com