350 B Injector Pump Roosa

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
EHood
40C crawler
40C crawler

350 B Injector Pump Roosa

Post by EHood » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:31 pm

When I stopped operating my 350B Diesel before the complete rebuild it would not start. Somewhere I read it could be the fuel shut off. Since the solenoid was working properly, I used the suggestion of manually working the linkage that the solenoid operates. So I popped the top and It seemed to be sticky but loosened up as I worked it. Put the cap back on and it started right up. It did not seem to have a lot of pep but I was bringing it into the garage for a complete rebuild except the engine so I didn't really care. Fast forward to the last few weeks and I have it back together through the finals with the tracks still off as they were being replaced as well. I wanted to start it up and check the clutches and brakes set the reverser pressures etc. while the machine was still apart for ease of access. I have the tanks sitting behind the machine with all my new wiring in the Battery box using relays to power everything from there where it can be worked on instead of screwing with the dash plate, discussion for another time. I also changed the throttle cable during this rebuild. When trying to start it again acted like the shutoff was not releasing even though the solenoid was working properly and with the proper voltage so I removed the solenoid cover again and manipulated the shutoff linkage. I should mention that I had this pump professionally rebuilt and it has run fine only having about 250 hours on it. At this point I can start the engine easily but have no throttle control. With the throttle cable off working the throttle lever on the injector pump makes no difference to rpm. It also takes a bit when the key is turned off to shut off. The Governor also does nothing, when I have the engine running I can throw it in gear without sprockets and chains and lug the engine down with the brakes and there is no reaction from the governor to increase speed. Any thoughts before i pull the injector pump again? I did invent a seal tool the last time I had the pump rebuilt using a Ford Fuel Line release tool drilled to the proper diameter, again discussion for another day. Suffice to say I would rather fix it aboard if it is easy rather than pulling the pump again. Any thoughts?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350 B Injector Pump Roosa

Post by Jim B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:57 pm

With only about 250 hours of run time, I would start by talking with the person/shop you had rebuild it and see what they have to say.

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:35 am

I agree with Jim, talk with the people that rebuilt it. Does the shop have a test stand to run the pump after a rebuild?
450C Track Loader
291457T

EHood
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by EHood » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:14 am

Of course I will talk to the shop, which is a Large John Deere Dealership in Michigan. While it only has 250ish hours it has been over 5 years or so. I know what they will say, pull it off and bring it in. They will want to rebuild it again for another $1100, which is not the problem as much as the work to take it off again and that it is setting back my project completion not to mention they are a 7 hour drive. Now that I think of it, this is the way it was acting when I purchased the machine. It ran fine to put it on the trailer got it home ran it for an hour or so, put it in the garage to do maintenance and it never started afterwards. Pulled the pump took it to this dealer as they had one on the shelf rebuilt, purchased that one and they told me mine was not even rebuildable. That was easy to see by the amount of silicone it was held together with. Since that install the machine has started first time every time in the coldest of winters even sitting long periods at at time. Of course it makes the mind wonder when the same thing happens with different parts. Oh well I was just fishing for an easy fix, I will get into it a bit further before removing it but that will most likely be the fix.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:54 am

Are you running straight diesel or bio-diesel? Reports of gumming up setting pumps seems to be more prevalent with bio, than plain, although plain diesel will gum at times as well. Make sure the lever isn't slipping on the throttle shaft.

EHood
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by EHood » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:02 pm

Update: I have it working, I pulled the main lift cylinder to get a better look as the bucket is most of the way down. I can see that there is no direct linkage to the fuel metering valve. It is operated to "Throttle up," from a light spring from the linkage to the cable and governor levers Not being sure if I could pull the metering valve without pulling the injector pump I worked it back and forth with free all and then Lucas fuel treatment lube. It is not perfect but at least now when you work the throttle lever the metering valve operates, so just a stuck metering valve. I have it running now pretty much the way its supposed to a bit sluggish on the throttle response but it does work. I will add Lucas or something to the diesel from here on as it didn't seem to take much to stick this valve. May have gotten some water past the filters when I was operating it and then shut it down. Thanks for the responses, now on to the rest of the project. I do not use bio and in a lot of cases use over the road diesel as there are only a couple places around here to get off road. One of them at least, just supplies OTR but has you fill out tax papers to make it OR. They say they put the necessary additives in OTR, but it's a dirty fuel no matter what they do. Thanks again!