New to me 450G

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
daverd4
MC crawler
MC crawler

New to me 450G

Post by daverd4 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:59 pm

I'm new here have owned 4 different Dozers over the years started with a 1936 RD4 a D4D and a Case 450
. Finally bought a real Dozer last week found a 1988 450G with 4632 hrs. with all new undercarriage 400 hrs. ago. Original owner bought two new one's and is now retiring. Seems like it has had good maintenance but I have a couple issues that I found while testing it out but didn't think they were a deal breakers. First is the long middle brake peddle doesn't pump up when I start it and goes way down with almost no brake when it's running. The second is the dash lights don't light up when you turn the key to bulb check. Serial # is T0450GF744789. Any help would be great. I bought over $ 600 dollars of OEM manuals for it but they won't be here for a week free shipping is not fast

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: New to me 450G

Post by Jim B » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:33 pm

Welcome to the Board. Your 450G is on the new side of things for most of us here, so hands on experience will be small, compared to the number of older 450 owners here. Your transmission, steering and brakes are different, so any books we have (like my 450E ones) won't help.

Your brake issue may be as simple as adjustments, but you will need your manuals to guide you through the steps. If it is like the earlier machines follow the steps in the order given in the manual for best results and sometimes it takes going through it a couple times.

As for the electrical issues, I would start by cleaning and checking all the plug in connections. Those seem to be common trouble spots in equipment, they don't like dirt and vibration. HTH
Jim

daverd4
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by daverd4 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:57 pm

Thanks Jim I was just hoping someone may of had these problems. The manuals will be here end of the week but there's nothing like first hand experience.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:14 am

The issues with harness connectors and bad connections is universal, so unplugging, checking the connectors (look for corrosion and wire ends that have slipped back in the connectors), checking fuses and breakers, and looking for disconnected/broken wires won't hurt. It is not uncommon on the AG tractor forums to read of electrical issues being traced to the harness connectors on newer JD tractors (and others as well).

I did come across this that gives a bit of info on how the bulb check works. You might have a bad ground in the bulb check circuit, if the indicators work when the machine is running. You could try grounding the temperature sending unit wire and see if that bulb lights when the key is on. Could be an issue in the grounding side of the key switch. Hope its something simple like a ground connection not the logic module, I'll bet that isn't inexpensive.