1974 JD 350B need input before buying

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
racingjoe66
40C crawler
40C crawler

1974 JD 350B need input before buying

Post by racingjoe66 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:11 am

CORRECTION 1,000 hours are on it.

Okay guys I need some input here. I am new to crawler loaders and what to look for. I am looking at buying a 1974 JD 350B crawler loader with 10,000 CORRECTION 1,000 hours on it and would greatly appreciate any and all input on it what you guys think about it. To me the pads look worn as they are at roughly 3/8" height, what are they new from the factory to start with? But what else should I be looking at?

I am trying to figure out how to attach pictures but can't seem to get it, can anyone help?
Last edited by racingjoe66 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njoldiron
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 1974 JD 350B need input before buying

Post by njoldiron » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:24 pm

Not Sure about the 350's but on a 455e loader new is 3/4" 10,000 hrs is high Was anything, engine or trans rebuilt?

racingjoe66
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by racingjoe66 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:37 pm

It was a 1 owner machine and says nothing was ever rebuilt on it.

racingjoe66
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by racingjoe66 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:25 pm

Is $5,500 a bad price for one if everything works as it should and such?

racingjoe66
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by racingjoe66 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:49 pm

How can I upload pictures? Thanks

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:38 am

Welcome to the Board.

This site has a dedicated picture server, you can read about it on the Messageboard Q&A and Announcements Board (visible when you are logged in). You have to contact Lavoy to set up an account for that server to have the ability to store your pictures on it. Or you need to use a third party hosting site. Pictures can't be direct loaded to this site.

No offense intended, its possible, but I find it very hard to believe a 1974 350B with just 1000 hours on it. (I didn't believe 10,000 hours with nothing having been rebuilt either.) Did you know the owner prior to this and that the meter is original? Electric hourmeters quit and easily get replaced, about a 15 minute job. I've changed many of them, as we used weekly meter readings in a computer program to track service of machines, and the equipment managers required we keep them working. Have you run the machine and seen the meter register more run time? They do just stop running and watching them actually add time is the only way to tell they are working. Also I have known of people unplugging the meters to prevent hours adding up. Not saying any of these scenarios are the case here, just that it is not a sure thing to rely on an hourmeter reading.

The grousers are likely about half original height. Might be right depending on operating conditions, but that seems like a lot of wear for 1000 hours to me. How do the ribs on the pedals and diamond plate floor panels look as far as wear? How does the bucket look? The undercarriage would need to be measured, not and eyeball "guesstimate" to tell the true wear condition. If you feel the bushings between the rails are they round or do they have deep wear? Are the sprockets pointed or do they have square tips about 1/4 to 3/8"? Look for cracks in the frame side rails and loose, or signs of bolt having been loose where the engine bolts to the clutch housing, clutch housing to transmission, and clutch housing to frame rails.

Location can affect pricing. $5,500 is in the range (3000 to 6500) I have seen them advertised for around here. Actual sale prices may have been less.

racingjoe66
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by racingjoe66 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:02 am

Thanks for the response. I wish I could go look at it in person physically but it is a 5 hour drive away 1 way and so I have had to rely on a video of it running and pictures that he has sent to me. The sprockets are rounded and very thick even at the end and not pointed or even close to it. My dad worked for our local city and before that doing road construction and said those sprockets like that are in very very good condition. That is why I wish I could upload some pictures on here or email to someone to post them. The original paint job looked really good on it yet for the loader and body and stuff, main wear in original paint was the track are. But the guys nephew did repaint the unit which I am not a fan of at all. I totally hear what your saying about the hour meter as on our tractors those go out all the time as well. The hour meter looks factory to me but I have no clue. It has domed headed flat head screws inside the gauge bezel and on the outside of the gauge holding it on too.

I re looked at the picture of him measureing the cleats height and its hard to tell from the angle he took the picture at but they could be more at 1/2" to 5/8" range give or take. The bucket looks nice and solid and same for all the teeth. I will deffinatly check everything over really good before handing over any cash. I seen a video about 4 bolts liking to back out and then causing a shaft to strip in the reverser or something under the pedal and seat area. I plan to check those out in person and not ask him about them so he doesn't have a chance to try to hide that if they are backed out or missing.