Canadian JD450 Crawler Loader Serial Number Difference

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
grahamwayne
MC crawler
MC crawler

Canadian JD450 Crawler Loader Serial Number Difference

Post by grahamwayne » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:54 pm

Came across JD450 Crawler Loader with Serial Number Tag SNE7450001736W.
I remember reading post many years ago regarding same type of 'Made in Canada' serial numbers, but am unable to find today.
Need help to decipher data plate. Any help is appreciated.

Does:
E= Loader?
7= Unknown???
450= 450
001736= serial #?
W= Widetrack?

Unit does have wide tracks.

Thanks,

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Canadian JD450 Crawler Loader Serial Number Difference

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:03 pm

Good afternoon,

I don't know about ones having made in Canada serial numbers. I do know there are differences in the ones made in Europe.

Was the tag you found, attached on the loader or the crawler? A straight 450 crawler serial number tag will be on the panel below the seat, about behind your right calf if you were seating in the seat. Part way through the 450B production run the tags were moved to the front panel of the battery box. I think you found the serial number for the loader attachment, not the crawler. Those were still in the vintage where they had separate parts catalogs for the crawler, blades, loaders, winches, etc. The 7450 just means it is a loader for a 450 crawler. Here is what PC927 the loader parts catalog introduction says about the serial number on the loader: "NOTE: SERIAL NUMBER PLATES ON JD450 CRAWLER LOADERS BEAR THE NUMBER 7450 AS A BASIC PREFIX PORTION OF THE SERIAL NUMBER. THIS IS NOT A MACHINE MODEL NUMBER AND SHOULD NOT BE USED TO IDENTIFY THE LOADER." A dealer might be able to get some info on the loader serial number but I don't know of any published list that dates the loader by serial number, like the crawler serial numbers do.

You say wide tracks, do you mean wide pads (how wide? 14" for dozer and 13 " for triple grouser pads are shown in the 450 parts catalog) The parts catalog doesn't show the extended drive housings and 30"+ tracks used on some 350s, or low ground pressure tracks but I know there can be things that are not shown in the parts catalogs.