350b Reverser shot?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350b Reverser shot?

Post by LeonardL » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:48 am

Okay so we need to get you back to Lavoy's original first and most important reply to your questions. You need to establish whether the reverser is being driven or not. As in the Isolator. Is it still connecting the engine to the reverser? So without pulling the engine there isn't a sure way of knowing other than the "350 Rattle." So when you first start this machine, does it have that distinctive Isolator rattle? You won't be getting anything out of your reverser if it isn't being driven in the first place. The 350 Rattle is the only indication that the Isolator is still functioning and connecting the engine to your reverser. We need to know what you're hearing as this machine first cranks up and comes under the power of the engine. There should be a distinctive rattle. Establish that point and then move on to your pressures.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:57 am

To echo what Leonard says you need to pull the engine, all else is a waste of time. Low pressure indicates a broken isolator, worn out splines, or a pump problem. None of the above are repairable with the engine installed. If it is none of the former, then it is internal, again, reverser needs to be pulled, and first step is pulling the engine.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jetboatjay
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jetboatjay » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:50 pm

Fellas you have seen a lot more of these things than I have. Really know nothing other than what I can see with my own 2 eyes. And what I see is very low pressure on the gauge, but there is some pressure. When I shift it into forward and reverse it makes 20+ lbs. When in neutral it makes zero. That and the pto shaft turns when the engine is running. Which to my highly untrained eye suggests it is getting input shaft rotation, which should rule out a broken input shaft or broken isolator. (Also there was no big “bang”, no grinding, no noise whatsoever when it quit working) Please do correct me if I’m wrong.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:07 pm

Worn out splines in a reverser hub will still spin an input shaft enough to develop a small amount of pressure. BUT, assuming you are correct, I will ask the question. What exactly do you think you can repair that would have that great of an effect on system pressure with the reverser still installed in the crawler?
It is likely the isolator, the input shaft, a pump failure or something of that nature. There is absolutely NOTHING that can be repaired on that reverser with the engine still installed at the least, or with the reverser still in the crawler at the most.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jetboatjay
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jetboatjay » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:03 am

Fair enough thanks

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:11 am

Before you pull the engine check the reverser filter.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way