Wire Mesh Filter

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Tye Reay
MC crawler
MC crawler

Wire Mesh Filter

Post by Tye Reay » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:50 pm

Tractor is 450CC, 252285T. In my parts manual in section 75, page 14 there is a wire mesh filter. I can not seem to locate this on the machine. The dozer on my machine is the 6405.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Wire Mesh Filter

Post by Jim B » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:23 am

There are some differences in parts catalogs and your printed one (I am guessing you have a printed edition) likely doesn't match the current on line one so knowing if you are looking at blade hydraulic system and the part number might help answer your question. In the on line catalog, section 75 is for the blades but 14 pages in (by my count since they are not numbered like the printed catalogs) is a spin-on filter mounted out side, on top of the reservoir. Page 13 has a couple different elements that would be down inside the hydraulic reservoir you get to by removing the filler cover.
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... ment/67823

Tye Reay
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Tye Reay » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:22 am

Yes it references the dozer hydraulics and part number is AU14022. The manuals I have are reprints from Peaceful Creek, they are pretty vague.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:24 pm

According to the Deere parts web site, that type of filter and part number is for a dozer with a SN <184580.

Parts site

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/

Actual part number on the site

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sea ... rm/AU14022

Hope this helps.

I suspect your filter is in the hydraulic tank under the cast lid/cover

SN 184581 - 354074.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/259847

Bruce

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:40 pm

Sorry to hear you're having this problem. Like Bruce I don't find that part number in the 450C parts catalog. I do find it in the catalog for the dozer blades catalog used with the 450 and 450B. Those machines had separate catalogs for the blades and other attachments, unlike the 450C catalog that includes them.

I have some of Peaceful Creek's reprints and I think they are pretty good and true reprints of the original manuals. It could be that the parts manual reprint is of an early parts manual. You always need to look to see that what you are looking at is right for your serial number. JD updated machines and added those changes for later serial numbers as they produced new parts catalogs, service/technical and operator's manuals over the years while generally keeping the same base publication number with maybe an alpha or numeric suffix. That is why I like to check things in the on line catalogs as they also show substitutions that have been made, info you won't get in an old printed one. With service/technical manuals one thing that comes into play is what someone expects from the manuals. Most equipment manuals for equipment are printed for the dealer mechanics who may have experience on similar machines or factory training; They don't give the detail someone doing something the first time looks for. Many times someone has asked something like how do I remove this hydraulic line, the manual doesn't tell me. No that type detail isn't given, mechanics are on their own to figure it out. Not all of the 450 model used the same manuals, for the most part each series (straight, B, C, D, E, etc.) had their own manuals. For a 450C dozer the parts catalog should be base # PC1420, Technical Manual base # TM1102, and the Operator's manual should be base # OMT62743. There may be several different Operator's manuals for a given model machine.
Jim

Tye Reay
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Tye Reay » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:02 am

Yes the hydraulic filter was inside the tank. Thank you guys for your efforts.

nelstomlinson
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by nelstomlinson » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:27 pm

``I have some of Peaceful Creek's reprints and I think they are pretty good and true reprints of the original manuals''
That means they are pretty weak efforts.
`` Most equipment manuals for equipment are printed for the dealer mechanics who may have experience on similar machines or factory training; They don't give the detail someone doing something the first time looks for.''
Cat and Ford manuals generally give that kind of detail. Again, the Deere manuals are pretty weak efforts. Better than nothing, but far from good enough.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:18 pm

I've been looking at parts manuals for multiple brands for over 30 years. Deere is hands down the best manuals I have ever used on any of the vintage stuff.
No manufacturer made their manuals for the end user, they are all designed for the shop, with the end user being secondary. Why would Deere or any other manufacturer gear a manual solely to the end user when the purpose is to support the service dept of their dealer network.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:33 am

Hi,

Yes, service manuals are made for service shops. I, too, have always found the Deere manuals to be very good. The only thing I could say that's 'bad' about them is they were meant for the long back-of-the-bench holders as opposed to a self-contained book. That means you need an odd type of binder if you want them separate.

You want to see a true weak effort? I+T manuals. Ugh!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:20 am

Peaceful Creek manuals are not what I would call a weak effort of reproducing an original manual. When I said ``I have some of Peaceful Creek's reprints and I think they are pretty good and true reprints of the original manuals'', I meant as reprints they have the same info as the JD manuals, the text and graphics are clear; in fact in some cases the graphics are clearer than some of the new manuals (reprints) from JD. Also in some cases they have added colors to the hydraulic circuit graphics to make them clearer. In the 420/430 manual I have, they added the info from the 40 series manual that the JD 420/430 manual refers one to for some of the needed info. (Another indication JD intended the manuals for a shop where there would be a "library" of prior models.) There are reprints out there that are barely legible, skip parts/omit info, and the graphics are so dark/blurry they are all but useless.

I have a number of different manufacturer's model manuals, including CAT and Ford, and I find there are places in those where more detail could be added, just like JD's manuals.

Sometimes it also depends on the manual you look at. One actually needs the "set" of manuals. Normal service and lubrication info, which it is expected would be done by an owner/operator is often better covered in an Operator's manual than a service manual, which was intended for the dealer mechanics. Even if I use one of the hard copy parts manuals I have to find something, I use the on line catalogs to see if there has been a substitution since my hard copy was printed.

Some people want videos of everything now. From the ones I've looked at some have good info and help. Then some are just hacks to the point they can be dangerous with missing and incorrect info. Like using manuals one has to sort out what is presented.

These are my thoughts, yours will vary, no harm, no foul. That makes the world go round.
Jim

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:18 am

Hi,

Yes. There would be a library of manuals in the service shop. That is what the long binding stand was for, to make up the manual library.

To work on my very late 420c, I need not only the 420 manual but also the M, 40 and 440 ones. The first two because they don't repeat unchanged information and the last because the late 420 uses the 440 reverser. And, the 420 manual predates that running change.

Back in the day, they sent service bulletins with running change information to dealers. These days, those are not available. Hence the need for the later manual.

And, all my Deere manuals show the hydraulic system diagrams in color. Many of the reprints are monochrome copies and so lose that.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:22 am

Here is what i see....First thing is....these manuals and machines are all well over 50 years old and still in some sort of working condition....Do you really think that ...anyone...at that time would have thought these machines were still going to be used and viable? and of course manuals were for Authorized Technicians at dealerships rates for additional income as well. with all the specialized tools needed

I would not bet that TODAYS machines will be lasting that long....neither will these new cars and trucks!! and don't get me started on computers!