350 starter issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
speedbear
420 crawler
420 crawler

350 starter issue

Post by speedbear » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:27 pm

I bought a 350B loader several years ago. It always acted like it had a weak starter. It barely got the machine running. I was able to get it started to do the project at hand. I decided to sell it and a friend advised to fix the starter issue for an easier sell. I got a new starter through Advance Auto (which really suprized me). I removed the mechanical fuel pump to get easier access. As I was unbolting the original starter, I noticed the nut on the stud on top was very loose. I actually thought this might have been part of the problem. Since I had it apart, I decided to slide the new starter in. After awhile I got it tightened down. As I was trying to install the fuel pump, I noticed the pump housing was hitting the starter housing, not letting the pump to fit flush with the block. At first, I thought I bought the wrong starter, as no way could I get the pump on with the starter in place. I removed the new starter & compared it to the old one. Both looked identical. So I decided to re-install the old starter. Again, the pump would not fit. It was at this time, I realized whoever installed the last starter did not tighten it as needed. The starter housing was in contact with the pump housing.
So either the starter is wrong or the pump is wrong. Has anyone else ever run into this issue????

speedbear
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: 350 starter issue

Post by speedbear » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:01 pm

After a search on this site, I think I found the solution. It appears some else had the same issue & posted the fix. Thanks to all for looking
Butch fro Pgh