Does a Serial Number Index exist?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Kzinti
MC crawler
MC crawler

Does a Serial Number Index exist?

Post by Kzinti » Wed May 12, 2021 6:02 pm

Newbie here. Recently picked up an old 350 crawler loader, and the main serial number plate for the tractor chassis is missing. I can read the engine plate, the loader plate, even the ripper plate. Is there some sort of John Deere Serial Number registry that I can check with to see if these numbers cross reference to the same chassis serial number, and what that might possibly be? Appreciate any assistance.
JD 350 Tracked Loader w/ripper

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does a Serial Number Index exist?

Post by Lavoy » Thu May 13, 2021 10:26 am

Nothing available to the general public. If the engine has never been changed, you may be able to request a new serial number plate from Deere. Long process, kind of a hassle, worse with an uncooperative territory manager.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu May 13, 2021 5:30 pm

First of all welcome to the madness!!! Some 350's, but not all will have the serial number stamped in the back top of the transmission case. The problem with that is being able to see it. Usually the fuel tank is over the spot where they stamped them. Another issue is if your machine has ever had the transmission case changed then what ever would be there would be bogus for the most part. You may also want to look really close in the area behind where the tag would have been riveted on. Some were stamped in the metal behind the tag. Not sure why they didn't do all of them this way but I have seen them with and or without. But it is worth a look.

You can determine pretty close as far as where your 350 will fit in a given serial number range or what series it is by looking at how it has been rigged out from the factory. Kind of a pain to do but there are given differences between early and late models and there are given differences between model by series. As in Straight 350 or if it is a B, C or a D.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Kzinti
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Kzinti » Fri May 14, 2021 9:02 am

From the looks of it, and reading a lot on here, it appears to be a 1966 straight 350 unit. It's been repainted, and I think that's when the plate got removed. I'll probe around the paint where the plate should be and see if there's anything stamped in the metal there. Have some new hoses coming for it, and figuring out the best option for a new seat, but I'm more than ready to go move some dirt. Already have three projects lined up. Thanks!
JD 350 Tracked Loader w/ripper