Running hot?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Running hot?

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:08 am

I've had an issue for quite awhile, my little 450c seems to run hotter than I think it should when it's hot outside. Normally in the spring/winter it runs around 190 degrees. It's fairly warm right now (read 87-90) right now and after working her hard she get's up to around 220 degrees. After 3 hours or so she's running 230 and then I normally take a break and try and let her cool down. The radiator was repaired and cored a few years back, I blow it out all the time and wash it out at least 1 or 2 times a summer.

Questions are : 1) Is 230 actually too hot to continue to operate? 2) How do I make it run cooler? The only thing I can think of is a new water pump. The thermostat obliviously works or it would never heat up when it's cold and it does that fairly well.

I try and limit my activities during the warm months to 4 hours or less per session and I really shoot for 2 as it just bakes me too. This current project is going to be at least 16 hours, as I'm clearing a few acres. I need a loader with AC......
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Running hot?

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:56 am

Bad gauge?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:08 am

I suppose it's possible, it's a mechanical gauge I put in maybe 8 years ago. I think I have a non contact gun, I could shoot the top of the radiator cap fairly easy when she's good and hot.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:37 am

Bad water pump is another thought, but I doubt it. Thermostat also, it may be opening enough in the winter to control temp, but not opening fully in the summer.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:24 pm

I would do some checking with a non-contact (infra-red type) thermometer to check the gauge. check the temperature right at the gauge thermocouple and several other places. You can also check circulation through the radiator with them. You should see it cool as you go down the radiator all the way across it.

I have seen some JD water pumps with plastic impellers that failed or wore out so I would say a bad water pump can't be ruled out. Replacement impellers in the kits I have gotten were all metal, no plastic ones.

Does yours have a suction or a blower fan? Is it on the right way?
Jim

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:11 am

Just to add a little bit to what has already been said. I have seen the thermocouple themselves be bad and cause a high reading. I. have also had them be routed too close to the exhaust manifold and be reading residual heat from the exhaust. Jim mentioned the plastic impellers and I have seen the metal impellers get eroded away as well by electrolysis. They will erode to the point they loose their ability to move the water. Also don't forget the simple things like belt tension and or slippage due to oil getting on the fan belt. I've seen some belts seem tight enough to spin the fan but they will slip and not be putting enough air through the radiator.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:14 am

I ran the machine last night and it was in the shade and a bit cooler. The machine never registered above 220 on the gauge and my non contact sensor said 200. So when I saw it at 230 maybe a touch above it's 210, I would assume that's ok for a hot summer day? I don't even recall what temp the thermostat is in the diesel engine.

My fan is a pusher, the belt is fairly new and looks tight. I do not see any oil leaks that would get on the belt.

When I get off this project, I'll replace the gauge and maybe look at the thermostat.

I'd like to do an engine rebuild this winter, assuming I can find someone who can do the machine shop work on it.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:19 am

Your temperature is a bit high. You should be running around 180 during a hot day. For sure no more than 200 if you're working it hard. These older Deere engines should be around 160 to 180 tops. Most older Diesel engines typically don't run all that hot especially compared to their gas counterparts. I would check the thermostat for sure but I would also check your gauge to make sure it's accurate. I would also give your fan a tug to see if it spins inside the belt. If it will move without trying to turn the engine then it is too loose. They can appear tight but be loose enough to not turn properly. Most likely this will be a different issue but check the simple things just to be sure.

I use O'Reilly Auto Parts machine shop there in Springfield. They have always done a good job for me. They're pretty reasonable as well. Like everyone else they are behind right now and the wait time is a bit long but they do good work. You can take your parts to any O'Reillys or one of their affiliate stores and they will send it to the shop for you. Just a suggestion. I'm sure there are other great shops around as well.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.