Possible seized/frozen motor

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
The Jug
420 crawler
420 crawler

Possible seized/frozen motor

Post by The Jug » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:56 pm

Hello below is background to the question
How to and or watt will be the best way to turn motor over ?
If i pulled radiator is there away to turn main crank ?
Should i pull injectors and soak pistons with mystery oil ?
Could weak starter be the cause of it not turning over ?

Thanks Gents
Here it is john deer 350 model T4F3D ser# 070582T. So as the story went when the last owner bought it he only put about 20 hours on it was losing power had blow by so he parked it . He said in ad runs starts and works . He couldn't get anyone to work on it so there it sat . Hes an older gent couldn't get underneath to drain oil and or antifreeze in pan so used suction hose to remove . He went to refill and only took quart seeing how it takes just over two he thought there may be more anti freeze in pan . Not sure how long it sat like this he claimed to had turned it over last year. So i came into picture drained oil and a good amount came out no anti freeze no water hmm so i put fresh oil in . I still have not added anti freeze and or water . Wiring is terribly so right to coil with decent battery starter spins then Bendix dead stop off on real quick as not to fry starter maybe josil motor into turning over no gooda ! So with that being said i put a bar in front main shaft and tried to work pulley around to move . Nothing at all . My experience with john deer and crawlers in general is 0 . I do have a case 590 and a small gray market yanmar 1510D . Im an electrician hard working and stubborn as can be with fair to good mechanical ability . Tractor is at camp in Maine about four hours away . Ill be posting pics once i figure that part out . But basically original JD 350 no winch has draw bar was made to look pretty with new paint all over . Good points rolls in neutral tracks pads under carriage in general in good shape . I have owners manual and parts manual waiting on repair manual. Pleas any thoughts or questions /concerns please let me know thanks in advance .
Last edited by The Jug on Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Possible seized/frozen motor

Post by Al Swearengen » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:59 pm

Can you pull the starter and get some bar leverage on the flywheel?
'99 450G 6-Way

The Jug
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by The Jug » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:07 pm

Great that will for sure be on list of procedures to try . Thank you !

The Jug
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by The Jug » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:21 pm

Well i pulled head and soaked in PB Blaster and was able to get her to turn over by tapping and soaking . So i am planing on doing a in frame rebuild or should i consider pulling engine ? But first i need to identify the problem of antifreeze in oil the previous owner was talking about . I did confirm it was indeed getting water/antifreeze in oil pan . Head and gasket looked good at least in my opinion i'm thinking it should be plained down and new valves and valve springs installed ? I guess before i consider rebuilding this block and head i need to make sure its not cracked i'm hopping and thinking coolant is getting by the cylinder packing especially since the number two cylinder sleeve was moving around some .watts the chanses of a cracked block ? Will i be able to tell were if it is leaking around packing by dropping oil pan and looking up in block ? Thanks for any words of wisdom you may be able to add .