350c reverser issue-need help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
graphiciron
MC crawler
MC crawler

350c reverser issue-need help

Post by graphiciron » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:19 pm

I need help with my 350c dozer. It does not want to engage the clutches. I had the reverser apart and everything looks good inside. I have about 30psi at the lube test port but I can't get any pressure at the clutches. I don't know what im doing wrong. I don't have any pressure in the pedal either. I have a manual for it and Im guessing it is something to do with the clutch pressure regulating valve, the bypass valve, or the restricting orifice. In the book it says that the service replacement for the orifice has two holes. mine only has one hole but I figured that would just change the speed the accumulator fills. I don't know how to adjust the orifice either. It doesn't even feel like the accumulator or clutch valve has fluid in it. Im stumped and could use some help to figure this out. I have the motor and reverser on the ground right now able to start it and test it out of the machine.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350c reverser issue-need help

Post by Jim B » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:47 am

Good morning,

Your 350C post should be on the late models board. It will likely get moved over there when Lavoy sees it so don't be surprised.

One of the fellows with more 350C experience will be along I'm sure, it just might be a bit.

Jim

graphiciron
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by graphiciron » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:13 pm

Okay thank you. Sorry about that.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:15 pm

Okay so you say you had this thing apart and everything looks good. So did you replace anything? O-rings, seals or anything at all? Did you have the valve body apart? If you can, give us a step by step description of what exactly you did when you had this apart.The fact that you have lube pressure indicates the reverser is being driven by the motor so that shouldn't be the issue.

Also your restrictor can be opened wide open until you can establish what else may be going on. I would start with backing it out a few turns so you know it is open. You won't hurt anything by doing this. Also make sure your clutch is coming all the way back so that the accumulator is in the full on position.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

graphiciron
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by graphiciron » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:16 am

I got it figured out. After many hours of studying the diagram I narrowed it down to the clutch pressure regulator valve. I figured it must be hanging up and blocking the flow to everything else. When I took it apart the first time I found a burr on the piston and it made it difficult to remove. I filed the burr off and sanded it smooth again but there was a burr left deep in the valve body that I could not see. Everytime I reinstalled the piston it was being held up by this burr in the body. Yesterday by chance I got the piston in the valve body just right and it went past the burr. Everything started working properly. What I plan on doing is ordering a new piston and useing the old one to fix the valve body. Today I will weld a rod to the piston, Chuck it up in a drill, and use some lapping compound to take down the burr. When the new piston gets here I'll drop it in and I should be good to go.

On a side note, it would be really helpful if I can post pictures on the forum. Im not sure how to do that or if I can on this forum.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:42 am

Glad you got this sorted. Be careful how much you hone the bore on your valve body. They're meant to have a close tolerance.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:16 pm

You can read about the picture server for this site when you are logged in. Look at the bottom of the index page and you will see the "Messageboard Q&A and Announcements". There is info there about the server and using it. You need to contact Lavoy and set up a user name and password to put pictures on it. Or you can use third party picture hosting site and post from that site. This site doesn't accept picture posting direct from a computer, phone, etc.