Steering Clutch not disengaging

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
zebqup
420 crawler
420 crawler

Steering Clutch not disengaging

Post by zebqup » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:49 pm

Part one:

The right side steering clutch on my new to me 350B crawler will not disengage. The previous owner had just replaced the brake band before I bought it. It was not adjusted properly and engaged early when turning right. I lived with it for awhile and ran it that way for about 15 hours of actual use. Now after some long periods of sitting outside in the Pacific Northwest it will not turn right while moving forward at all. The right side brake engages but the clutch will not disengage even after backing the brake off completely . I can see the throw out bearing pushing against the clutch fingers but it has no effect on the clutch. I am about to split the track and pull the final drive and remember another post where it was suggested to someone
with the similar problem, to push into a stump and try to break the clutch free. Tried that but it didn't free up.

Part two:

Pulled the final drive off and haven't found any obvious problems. Actually looks pretty clean and not a total pile of rust. The throw out arm seems to work fine. I am waiting for a clutch finger gauge to arrive to check the current height of the fingers before I take the pressure plate off just for reference. Since its off the machine I am going to replace all the clutch and brake parts if its needs it or not.

I would really like to understand what is going on with this clutch and hoping someone has some insight into what would make it freeze up and stay engaged.
JD 1010 Diesel JD 2320 JD 350B loader

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Steering Clutch not disengaging

Post by LeonardL » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:23 pm

My first guess would be you are still stuck with rust. But the other would be adjustment on the fingers of the pressure plate. While you have this apart be sure to look at all the linkages inside the clutch housing. Make sure everything is pivoting and moving freely. Now is the time to consider taking the linkage apart and anti seizing it or at the very least grease everything.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:07 am

I agree with LeonardL, if you haven't disassembled the steering clutch pack itself, you may find rust internally has stuck the discs together and to the splines they slide on. The discs need to be free to move. Free things up and carefully lube moving parts, but keep lube away from the clutches and brakes.

zebqup
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by zebqup » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:17 pm

Thanks for the good advise. Ill do cleaning, greasing and checking while waiting for all new clutch parts.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Also note that one plate goes in behind the snap ring. This is not clear i the parts book diagram. It will work otherwise, but not disengage after a time.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

zebqup
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by zebqup » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:59 pm

I have removed the pressure plate and looked a the first few disks. They look fine. Nothing at all like my old JD 1010 that was a complete pile of rust and dirt. Going to have a look at the disk that should be behind the snap ring as mentioned . That sounds like it could be the problem. Like you said it worked for awhile and then would not disengage.

I am also suspect of the throw out bearing and arm. I would expect the bearing and the pressure plate to show some signs of wear where they contact each other. Mostly looks like they have barley been touching. Before I removed the finial I ran the steering clutch adjustments to the extreme limits so don't think it was a adjustment error . Going to try and post some pictures of it here. I am looking for a measurement of the throw out arm to see if it is push the TO bearing far enough in the pressure plate.

Image[/img]

[https://i.ibb.co/SVQ8Bmd/TO350B.jpg][/url]
https://i.ibb.co/bmm1bv0/PP350B-2.jpg

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:37 pm

Your throw out bearing looks right to me and usually they aren't the issue unless they are bad or the fork has come loose on the shaft. The forks are preset with the shaft via a counter sunk drill hole on the shaft that mates with the set screw. The same applies for the throw lever up at the top of the shaft.

Pictures can be deceiving sometimes but it looks like your pressure plate fingers are low. It could be the pack is on top of the snap ring but usually that will cause other issues besides solid engagement. Usually a slippage will occur because the pack will be held away from the engagement surface of the drum. But like everything else I've learned on these crawlers, anything is possible. Judging from the picture however it looks like the plates are stacked correctly.

Another thing is your pack doesn't have to be a rust bucket to be stuck. I have seen them stick to each other just from a little bit of moisture causing them to stick. You will know when you pull the pack apart. I'm still thinking it will be that or the finger height on the pressure plate.

I'm also wondering if they left the retainer clips on the pressure plate. Even though that should have caused an obvious issue when they bolted the pressure plate on. I don't think it is possible but it is something else to look for. I've never seen that as an issue I'm just think out loud on it.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:54 am

I looked at your second picture again this morning and it looks like your throwout bearing has been hitting the center hub. There is a wear mark on the surface around the axle. I'm not sure what you have going on but look at everything. From the linkage all the way through the clutch pack.

zebqup
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by zebqup » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:50 am

Thanks Leonard. The pressure plate set gauge arrived in the mail yesterday and indicated that the fingers were indeed set very low. I couldn't exercise them at all until I readjusted them. I took the disk pack apart and even though they weren't stuck together they had a lot of rust on them and the snap ring was in the correct position. I am wondering if this was a cheap after market set of clutch disks that swelled up damp northwest rain. I have ordered all new parts from Lavoy and feel pretty confident that it will solve the problem. Will be interesting to compare the old disks and pressure plate with the new.