450E Steering problem

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Garley
MC crawler
MC crawler

450E Steering problem

Post by Garley » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:18 pm

:?: I am having trouble with the steering on the right side of my 450E dozer.I can start it up and push straight into the hillside and both sides dig fine . The trouble is when I clutch the right side and then release it, it doesn’t engage immediately. I can clutch both sides at the same time to check it and when I release the right side all it does is tighten up the slack in the track. It just takes a little time for it to engage fully . I have replaced the seals in the clutch packs and rings in the clutch manifold, cleaned trans. strainer, filled with new jd hygard and it still does the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450E Steering problem

Post by Jim B » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:21 am

Welcome to the Board.

Have you checked the brake adjustment? Could that one be tighter than the left so more clutch pressure needs to build to over come it. They are self adjusting and can get over tight. Have you checked the steering valve to see if it has a problem? Pressure checks on both sides might show something.
Do you have the manuals TM 1330OP and TM1330RE? Just some thoughts.
Jim

Garley
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Garley » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:17 pm

Brake adjustment is good , I haven’t done the pressure check yet but will be doing it soon .I don’t have the particular manuals you mentioned. I guess that I was hoping that someone may have had the same problem and could tell me what their cure was.So can you do a pressure check for each side? All I have seen mentioned before was to check HLR.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:20 am

To me this is a case where the manuals (at least the TM1330OP which details checks, tests, and adjustments) will be a benefit to you as several things may come into play before you are done. Here is the check on steering clutch engagement for lever steering. (Foot brake released, first gear, high range, about 1/2 throttle.) I would expect you could tee into the lines to the steering clutches to compare what the pressure is doing in each if needed. (They apply the clutches by supplying oil pressure to them and release by the valve dumping the oil pressure from them.)