JD 450 Hydraulic Filter

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
JDMainer
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 450 Hydraulic Filter

Post by JDMainer » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:48 am

I am having hydraulic problems. I replaced the starter on the machine. In doing so I had the bucket propped in it 's highest position. After completion the hydraulics are stuttering upon activation. I cycled all the pistons a few times thinking there might be air pockets, but it didn't help. I then figured that a filter may be the culprit. I attempted to remove the tank cover plate. It would raise about 1/2" and then stick. I ended up prying a little and discovered the filter had off set and was caught under the edge of he opening. After some prying and fiddling I removed the cover plate and filter. The bolt holding the filter on had loosened up. There was only a flat washer and bolt holding the filter on. No o ring, washers, or spring.
My questions to the forum are- Would the loosened filter cause the stuttering? Is there a place that the missing parts can be purchased? Is there another filter for the suction side? Where is it?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 450 Hydraulic Filter

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:04 pm

The filter in the tank is all there is for the hydraulics. Note that there are differences in the filters and parts that were used with each. If yours was the long filter it doesn't use all the parts the short on uses, according to the on line parts book. You might be able to get some of the parts at a JD Ag dealer by using the part numbers, if a piece of Ag equipment used that part, otherwise in Maine you pretty much end up talking to NORTRAX. You can always talk to Lavoy and see if he can get what you need or has a lead on a good salvage yard.

I don't see the (return) filter causing your stuttering. I would quicker think low oil level or an air leak on the suction side.

JDMainer
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JDMainer » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:27 pm

Thanks for the info. I keep forgetting about Nortrax. I have purchased from them in the past. The oil level is well above the sight glass. Prior to working on the starter, the hydraulics worked fine.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:45 am

If memory servers me right fluid is returned thru the filter. If the filter was offset enough it was blocking the return line with the wall of the filter, that might give some interesting results. Either way , you need to get the filter on correctly else you risk ruining other components with unfiltered oil.

I understand you say it worked correctly before fixing the starter but the odds the filter fell off during that process is pretty low. My guess is the system bleed off while having the boom extended and it's being cranky about bleeding itself out. I'd still fix the filter and then try and work it a little.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T