350C steering clutch piston seals

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Rustymetal
40C crawler
40C crawler

350C steering clutch piston seals

Post by Rustymetal » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Any tricks to getting piston in with new rubber seals just resealed both sides on my 350C and cut a place in the smaller inside rubber seal when I put the piston in and had a big leak the piston has a small taper on both surfaces that is to help get it started I guess I must have gotten it further down on one side just curious if there’s a trick other than the obvious to slick them up with something I used a little bit of molycote O ring grease but maybe there’s something better thanks for input

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350C steering clutch piston seals

Post by LeonardL » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:42 am

Usually they will pop right in with steady and even pressure all the way around. After removing the old original seals make sure the grooves are clean and that they don't have some old bits of seal still remaining in them. This can cause your new seal to protrude a bit and cause issues when re-installing the piston. Make sure the new seals are in their grooves evenly all the way around before fitting the piston.

I just use a good flat board that will cover most of the piston and then apply steady but firm pressure to it. The trick is keeping the piston straight and applying steady and even pressure. Use lots of lubricant as well. I use a good setup lube to coat everything. You can also just coat it all with your trans fluid. If you have a press that is also a really good way to keep your pressure equal all the way around. Just be careful not to over do it and make sure you are centered with the press.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Rustymetal
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 350C steering clutch piston seals

Post by Rustymetal » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:17 pm

Thanks for the tip I did both sides with all seals and orings ect new put it all back together and had a quick reverser fluid level drop I drained both steering clutch housings and the trans and refilled reverser and started machine and left trans in neutral and put reverser in forward or reverse either one with drain plugs out and it didn’t take long to figure out which side was leaking smaller inside seal had a piece shaved off I must have had piston uneven just that little bit but it poured fluid by it so more new seals on that side with better results this time thanks again!!!