JD 350B cylinder line

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

JD 350B cylinder line

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:27 am

This machine is/was running as it should. Have the head off this dozer trying to find cause of coolant leak that doesn't leak to the ground. I haven't found anywhere on the head gasket that shows signs of a leak there. The center cylinder liner has a very slight movement as I press quite hard to the outside. Could this cause a reason for the coolant level to go down? thanks, gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 350B cylinder line

Post by Jim B » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:33 am

Good Morning gregjo1948.

You likely know this already, but DO NOT turn the engine over without clamping the liners down, or they may lift, and you will have to reseal the liners if they weren't leaking already.

You could have leaking seals on the liners. About the best way I know to tell is to drop the oil pan, pressurize the cooling system with a radiator pressure tester, and look at the liners from under the engine (with the pressure on the system) to see if/where you see coolant dripping. Coolant on the outside of the liner is a seal leak. Coming down inside the liner would be a gasket, cracked head, or hole eroded through the liner. Of course the engine (other than the oil pan) and cooling system need to be assembled to do this test.

This (350) question should be on the Late Model Board so don't be surprised if Lavoy moves it over there.

Jim