First year of the 350 crawler?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
zzshane
MC crawler
MC crawler

First year of the 350 crawler?

Post by zzshane » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:53 am

Hi everyone, new here. I just bought an ancient 350 crawler.... I think. Model number is e7350. Serial number is 000744cd. I can't find any info on it and looking for help. It has the clamshell bucket and a side shift backhoe. Made in Saran France

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: First year of the 350 crawler?

Post by Jim B » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:19 am

Welcome to the board.

A couple things. First your 350 series posts should be on the Late Model Board. You may call yours old but when looking at the ones discussed on this board it is new technology. :wink: Lavoy may move it over there when he sees this.

Next. What is your general location? (you might add a general location to your profile.) I ask as saying made in Saran, France means we may have trouble IDing it as there can be some differences from the US built crawlers.

Then. The model and serial number you posted is for just the loader attachment. The crawler and the hoe should each have their own tags. The following applies to US built crawlers and may match the Saran unit. The crawler tag may be in a different location for Saran crawlers based on history, but we can start here. The tag for the crawler serial number should be on the front of the panel below the seat in the area that would be behind your right calf if you were setting in the seat. That location was changed to the front of the battery compartment panel, right where you would be looking at it when standing on the ground, ready to get on the machine. If there is no tag in either place, look for two 1/8" holes about 3-4 inches apart (two rivets held the tag) in both places. That will help ID it.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:21 am

Your serial numbers are likely different than ours, but not positive. Either way, first year should have been 1966.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

zzshane
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by zzshane » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:01 am

Thank you for the information! Yes I see 2 small holes painted over by the right calf area where a plate could have been. The backhoe attachment has it's own plate as well, also made in France. I'm going to try adding photos if that helps.

zzshane
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by zzshane » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:10 am

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GvaP7oFVFFUm6mMN9

Best I can do with pictures, created a link, hope it works!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 am

Again, what is your general location? I'm wondering if the machine is still in France, imported to the US or some where else.

The following is based on guessing they followed the same model numbering on the equipment built in Saran. There may be some differences between the models built in the different locations. The parts catalogs can be viewed on line at: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/ . While there may be some differences the catalogs between build sites there may be something to help you.

7350 was the model number used for the loaders used on the 350 crawlers. In the US parts Catalog PC926 covers the 7350.

95 was the model number used for that model backhoe used on the 350 crawlers and some other power units. In the US parts Catalog PC864 covers the 7350.

The 350 serial number list Stan Disbrow posted on the FAQ Board shows serial numbers starting in 1965 running into 1970. In the US parts Catalog PC921 covers the 350 crawler tractor (as noted the loader and hoe are separate parts catalogs and some of the hydraulic components on the crawler may be in the attachment parts catalog, not the crawler parts catalog).

A dealer might possibly pinpoint the year of the crawler closer if the engine serial number (located on the right side of the block near the end of the starter and the fuel transfer pump) is still on the engine. The problem is over 50 years engines may get swapped out, so there is no knowing the engine is original since you haven't owned it from the beginning. Likewise the loader and hoe numbers might give an idea but could have been added along the way.
Jim

zzshane
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by zzshane » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:37 am

Thank you Jim! I'm in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Alot of stuff up here makes it's way down from Canada. My best guess on that. I'll be digging into the link you shared, thanks for the information!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:58 am

See if you have an engine serial number. I haven't seen this but some folks have said the crawler serial numbers, on some, were stamped in the top of the transmission case at the differential end. You might dig around those areas, at the ends of the covers, and find something. If you do you could try calling the number at the construction publications site and see if they will talk with you on it. That is the JD site for the construction and forestry manuals. Here is a link: https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/ . Down the page on the left side is a box that says help or such and I think there is a phone number there. They might be able to tell you if you need different manuals or if the US ones will work for you. (That site is down because of weather at the moment.) Sometimes manufacturers will shy away from helping with imported machines due to liabilities, just so you know.