Straight 450 winch oil level plug location

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Oldiron
MC crawler
MC crawler

Straight 450 winch oil level plug location

Post by Oldiron » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:43 am

I have acquired a 66 450 dozer with a 3320 winch. The previous owner had filled the winch to the small bolt on rt side that you use to set end play in shaft. Looking at the service manual it says to fill to level plug but no location. There is a inch and a eight plug on rt side up about 2" from bottom of case is this the level plug?
Watching the ring gear run the drum bearing dosen't look to be getting much oil with it filled to this plug..
Thanks in advance. Larry

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Straight 450 winch oil level plug location

Post by Jim B » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:07 am

I don't have a good answer for you on this, I have limited info on the 3320 winch. From what I have found the level plug and drain plug are the same (1-1/8" hex) so I expect you are right on that. The couple pictures I've found in a 450B book look like they changed the location of the level plug on the 3325 (on my 450E). The 450B service manual says the winch takes 9 quarts of oil, same as the 3325. Below is a picture of the check/fill plug on the 3325 which I believe is higher than on the 3320. How does the 3325 plug location look when compared to the bolt you found the oil level at? I don't know if there was a service bulletin that changed oil level on the 3320 winch. If no one comes along with a better answer I would suggest calling a JD Construction or Forestry dealer and asking. The oil would be Hy Gard or an equal premium UTHF meeting JDM J20C specs, NOT 303, which is no longer available. Jim

Oldiron
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Straight 450 winch oil level plug location

Post by Oldiron » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:18 am

Thank you Jim B for the reply. You are correct that they have moved the plug up on the 3325 also my bottom drain plug in in the center front under the drive gears from the pto shaft. The reason for the question is with the oil level at the side drain plug watching the gears rotate the drum bearing is not getting oil. Previous owner had it half full of oil and was leaking past drum shaft seals on to clutch and brake. Think I will fill till bearing gets oil. Thanks for the help. Larry