450E Transmission

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Tony
MC crawler
MC crawler

450E Transmission

Post by Tony » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:56 pm

I have a 450E crawler that is having transmission troubles. The high range has begun to slip under load and once fluid warms up reverse shifts slowly but does not slip. Low range works fine. I changed oil and filter. The screen was covered with fiber chips. I assume this is from the clutch pack disks? Can you replace the clutch pack from the top of transmission without pulling the engine? Reverse shifts with no hesitation if using foot clutch. Will it hurt to operate using low and reverse only? Any input would be appreciated.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450E Transmission

Post by Jim B » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:06 pm

I will say no, the clutch pack will not come out without removing something, as the front quill has to come out to remove the clutch pack. The technical manual removes the HLR transmission, differential, and final drives as an assembly, I would expect removing the engine would work as well. What are you running for transmission fluid in it? Basically Hi is gone and you say reverse shifts slowly at times. If it engages quicker when you use the clutch it could be a seal starting to leak there or a restriction somewhere. Pushing the clutch pedal takes the load of the HLR clutch engagement, so the clutch pack can make up under no load. More of those chips you found are likely floating around in there and could get to places they could cause problems (and nothing says some aren't coming from another clutch pack. As for continuing to run it as is, I wouldn't, but it is up to you in the end.

I would recommend at least doing the pressure checks before you tear it down so you will know if there is a problem with more than a clutch pack. Do you have the technical manuals for it? it is a 2 manual set TM1330OP (operation and tests) and TM1330RE (repair). The Operator's manual is OMT81347 and the parts catalog is PC2036. If you don't have them, start by contacting Lavoy to see if he can get you a set through his store. If you plan on getting into this you need all the proper info. Here is a link to the online parts catalog you can use for free.
Jim

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... ment/72859

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:42 am

You have to pull the engine and the bell housing to get it. We normally remove the loader or dozer, plus fuel tank and side boxes. You will find the E series machines have a heavier transmission case which makes it very difficult to get enough clearance to get the shafts out. Last one we did involved grinding the case to get all the HLR shafts out.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Tony
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Tony » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:22 pm

Thanks for the advice. Have manuals and will do pressure test. Thought I might tackle the job if clutch pack could be removed from top of transmission but since engine has to be pulled I think I will get a quote from repair shop although I know it is going to be expensive. Found rebuilt clutch pack for 2290.00 with core charge of 800.00 at broken tractor. No telling what labor will be? Thanks again for the expertise. Very handy website!

Tony
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Tony » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:13 am

Ok I finally rounded up a pressure gauge and performed test on transmission. Had same pressure in all ranges except high. The gauge read 130 with engine revved up. I added 3 shims to raise the pressure to 165. Read 80 at low idle. Still nothing in high range. Low works great and shifting in reverse takes about 2 seconds if shifting from low on the go. If you shift from neutral sitting still to reverse it takes longer. Also forgot to mention checked foot pedal clutch for proper adjustment before doing other tests. Changed transmission fluid and inspected screen filter again and found no fiber particles anywhere. Could there be a leak in a line inside the transmission causing high not to function. At times if you shift from low to high it will go a ways on flat ground but shows no pressure on gauge.