450C Combined Sump

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

450C Combined Sump

Post by rufustoad » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:59 pm

Hi all,
So I have put ALL new clutches in my 450C and what a job. It was obvious that this was tore into before and had not been put together quite right to combine the final sumps. There were a few little ring groves but nothing terrible so I had someone just touch them with a lathe and they turned out nice. As I put them back together I plugged the ports on the pressure manifolds, removed the contacting seals, and opened the passages for the vents.
I did find that the wheel pressure manifolds do leak which I am assuming is normal since they are just piston rings sealing against the walls of the manifolds but I don't know what to much is and do not seem to find anything to help test this.
I am holding around 150psi on my drives but my question is if the leak is in fact to much will the sump just fill up and pressurize enough to force the fluid back into the main sump or could it over fill, pressurize the final drive housing and create leaks? The vent holes are only 7/16" which seems a little small to me but it does look like this was designed to flow back into the main sump?
God Bless
Todd

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: 450C Combined Sump

Post by psprague » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:17 pm

1. Not all 450c's had a common sump and some had separate ones. I think this was a remnant of the change over from dry clutches of the 450b.

2. The final drives are suppose to be full.

I've done some pressure testing on my 450's HLR and have issue's with L but I am not sure what problem you are solving. Perhaps some pictures?
JD 450c forestry, JD 440A cable skidder