350B reverser control stuck in neutral

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Kcreed
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B reverser control stuck in neutral

Post by Kcreed » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:58 pm

Hello, my 350B crawler has been setting up a few years. I stuck a battery in it and melted the feed wire to the alternator. I cut the wire in the clear and thought it should start anyway. Nope. Doesn’t turn over. No click or anything. So I wiggled the gearshift, and attempted to wiggle the reverser control. It’s froze in place. Won’t budge. What do y’all make of that? I don’t know where to start.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B reverser control stuck in neutral

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:22 am

Welcome to the Board.

Not a serious thing but your 350B questions should be on the Late Model Board, so don't be surprised to find it has been moved over there.

Without seeing it, I would say rust has gotten to your linkage if the lever doesn't wiggle. I would start by following the linkage and see where it is seized. Unhooking the linkage in sections, checking them out, and lubricating. Hands on is about the only way I see to find the problem. If you end up with the linkage, moving freely and only disconnected at the transmission, then the issue is in the transmission valve. JMHO

Melting the wire to the alternator by just hooking up a battery could be the battery is hooked up backwards (350B is negative ground), or you have deep wiring issues. What are you calling the feed wire to the alternator? I believe, if still original, your machine had an externally regulated Motorola alternator. Are you calling the big wire from the starter solenoid to the output terminal of the alternator, the feed wire or one of the small wires from the regulator which excites (feeds) the alternator to start it charging the feed wire? If the battery was hooked up backwards (positive to ground) it may have wiped out the alternator diodes and burnt the output wire. Do you have the technical manual (TM1032) for it as you may need the wiring diagrams.
Jim

Kcreed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Kcreed » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:07 pm

Thanks, I’ll give your suggestion on the linkage a try. The wire that melted was a small wire from a block near the fire wall to a spade lug on the back of the alternator. I’m not near the machine now, and it’ll be a few days before I can fool with it. I’m not above putting a battery in backwards. Will check that 1st.

Kcreed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Kcreed » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:08 pm

I don’t have a manual. Can you suggest where I could get one?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:31 pm

Contact Lavoy, the owner of this site. I believe he has, or can get the manuals, you need through his store, His business provides this site for us to use so we try to support him as much as possible. His email is postmaster@jdcrawlers.com , or call him at the number on the homepage during CST business hours on week days.

Kcreed
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Kcreed » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks.