diesel return line is plumbed straight from injector pump-tank

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
MrT111
MC crawler
MC crawler

diesel return line is plumbed straight from injector pump-tank

Post by MrT111 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:18 pm

Bought a 68 jd crawler loader and noticed in the service manual that the return line from the inj. pump goes up and each cylinder is connected into that line on it's way to the fuel tank, someone has plumbed mine straight from the inj. pump to the tank.the engine seems to run fine ,is this something that needs corrected ? Thanks

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: diesel return line is plumbed straight from injector pump-tank

Post by Jim B » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:56 am

Good morning and welcome to the board.

It would help answer your question(s) if you include the model of your machine. A 1968 JD crawler loader could be a 350 or a 450, and there are some differences that will come into play for at least some things. In this case both were plumbed from the injection pump up to the fuel return line on top of the injection nozzles. There were several options of how they tied the injection pump return line into the return line at the nozzles. A return line, at the back of the head, ran from the tee on the last nozzle to the tank. I guess it would work with the pump returning direct to the tank, but how is the excess fuel getting from the nozzles to the tank currently? That has to happen as well. Has someone run a second line for the pump? Have they tee'd the two together closer to the tank instead of at the top of the nozzles, if there are two lines?

This is a housekeeping thing but, you will have better luck if you post questions like this on the appropriate board, which for a 350 or 450 would be the "Late model JD crawler technical support" board. That is where the operational/maintenance type questions like this should be to get best exposure and help. This thread will likely get moved over to that board when Lavoy or a moderator see it.
Jim

MrT111
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: diesel return line is plumbed straight from injector pump-tank

Post by MrT111 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:07 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim, after repairing a blown hyd. line i was able to run the engine for a few mins. and did notice the fittings beside each inj. was wet so i need to find where to get the t's to make up the return line. The machine i have is a 450 straight late 60's.Thanks again !