JD 350b diesel in the oil. (Old loader sat for 17 years)

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Bugsaway
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350b diesel in the oil. (Old loader sat for 17 years)

Post by Bugsaway » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:05 am

Hello everyone! I recently took on the task of getting an old JD350b loader running. It's sat without running since i was a kid (17 years or longer since it moved) i greased grease point and watched a lot of videos to make sure I was putting the proper fluids in but after i topped everything off and changed the oil and flushed the fuel system and put in new filters it starts like it's bran new so i decided to let it run and then it died on me. It will run till it warms up then shuts it's self off i noticed a lot of diesel near the fuel pump and thought it was leaking and i bought new gaskets and rebuilt it. I actually ran for longer now and i drove it around. While driving it died again so i looked it over and saw it was leaking fluid. When i poked around i saw the same diesel at the fuel pump not realizing it was coming out of the oil dip stick. I started the loader back and went over to that side to check it out and it was foaming out of the oil dipstick so i shut off the loader and checked that it was and it's diesel. I'm pretty new to working on this thing and i wasn't finding anything specific google wise and didn't find much on the forms here for diesel in the oil of the jd350 b loader. I looked through the manual in the fuel section and it didn't say anything for diesel getting into the oil. I don't think the engine is shot as it starts very well and i didn't see any physical damage when i was looking it over. I wouldn't think it's a head gasket because the engin starts really well and there's no coolant leaking anywhere and it doesn't seem like exhaust gasses are getting into the oil just pressured diesel is. Any suggestions as to what i need to do or try are greatly appreciated. I was thinking it might be the injector pump so i was gonna attempt it rebuild it but I've been having difficulty finding a kit that i think would work so any suggestions for that are greatly appreciated to!

Thanks so much for your time! I hope you have a great day

78turbo
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: JD 350b diesel in the oil. (Old loader sat for 17 years)

Post by 78turbo » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:56 am

There are very few ways that fuel could get into the oil. Usually it is the fuel pump diaphragm that leaks, an injector body leaking, or the injection pump seals. You have rebuilt the fuel pump, so that should be good. I would suggest that you have the pump gone through by a reputable shop and maybe have them check the injectors also. I read on here before that if you don't have an extremely clean room to work on pumps, it shouldn't be attempted as even floating dust can cause issues.
I am sure someone with way more knowledge on here will give you better help.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:58 am

Welcome to the board.

There are two common places for diesel to get into the engine oil. First is the fuel transfer(aka Lift) pump. Next are the umbrella seals on the shaft that drives the injection pump. Transfer pumps are inexpensive and the common fix is to replace them, rather than try to rebuild. If you have one with a sediment bowl on it, the common replacement will not have that but they work fine. I will advise you send the injection pump to a qualified shop and have it done right if it needs work beyond replacing the umbrella seals on the shaft. Too many end up trying to do it themselves and cause damage that increases repair cost when they end up sending it to an injection pump shop. Read up on removing and installing the injection pump to understand the umbrella seals, changing those does not require getting into the injection pump internals and isn't difficult.

If you don't have manuals (operator's service/technical, and parts I suggest you contact Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) by email or call him at the phone number on the homepage during Central time zone business hours. He will be able to fix you up with the right manuals from his store. He will likely have or can get you parts you need as well. His store provides this site for us to use. Always have your serial number at hand as sometimes there are serial number breaks that affect the part you need.

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:01 am

Bugsaway wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:05 am
i noticed a lot of diesel near the fuel pump and thought it was leaking and i bought new gaskets and rebuilt it.
Just to be clear, you installed a new diaphragm when you changed the gaskets?
'99 450G 6-Way

Bugsaway
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bugsaway » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:08 am

Al Swearengen wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:01 am
Bugsaway wrote:
i noticed a lot of diesel near the fuel pump and thought it was leaking and i bought new gaskets and rebuilt it.

I didn't i just got a kit that had the gaskets and watched a guy on YouTube do it. He had the kit linked so i just followed what he did and he didn't replace the diaphragm.

Bugsaway
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bugsaway » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:14 am

Thanks so much to everyone that's replied! I'll check out the umbrella seal on the injector pump. I think the lift pump is what I replaced the gaskets on (it's right next to the filters) i feel like if it's more than the umbrella seals I'll check out shops near me and see what kinda quotes i get. I don't wanna compare it to rebuilding and engine to transmission but I'd assume it would be easier that than so hopefully i could handle it if shops cost a bit too much. I'll definitely reach out to the guy someone outlined for the manuals. I bought a service manual off the internet but it ended up being just one of the digital ones and it's been some help but doesn't really help much on part numbers or things like that. Once i pull out the injector pump after work I'll keep everyone posted on if it's the umbrella seals or not. But if anyone has more theory's as to what to check out or what you think i might need to do since this thing has sat for so long id appreciate it!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:18 am

If i recall correctly the diaphram is usually what actually causes the leaking...they get cracked from the constant movement and are not always easily visible. it may be as simple as that..replace it.

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:20 am

Bugsaway wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:08 am
Al Swearengen wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:01 am
Bugsaway wrote:

I didn't i just got a kit that had the gaskets and watched a guy on YouTube do it. He had the kit linked so i just followed what he did and he didn't replace the diaphragm.
That would be my first thing to eliminate. A leaky diaphragm can fill your engine with diesel.
'99 450G 6-Way

Bugsaway
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bugsaway » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:37 am

I'll replace the diaphragm first and see if that does the trick. I've already ordered the part it should be here by Wednesday I'll keep you guys posted on if that fixes it. Thank you all so much!

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:46 am

My guess would be the umbrella seals on the injector pump. Just curious, when it shut down, did it blow white smoke out the exhaust? Also, remove the little rectangular window off the side of the pump via two small screws. If you see any small dark colored bits that look like mouse turds, then you've got a failed damper ring. The "turds" will plug the regulator valve and cause engine shut-down.
450C Track Loader
291457T

Bugsaway
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bugsaway » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:02 pm

Hey everyone so i replaced the diaphragm like a few of you said and that seems to have done the trick. I changed the oil after doing it and i Almost can't believe how much diesel came pouring out of the drain plug. It hasn't ran untill it's warmed up just yet mostly because i needed to adjust the clutches before i can start using it a lot and got a bit tied up in that but so far it's ran for a few 5 minutes periods (8 or so to be exact) and then i changed the oil again just to make sure there was to remaining diesel anywhere and it didn't seem like more quality of oil than i put in but thanks so much for your all's help i really appreciate it. I've also checked the injector pump like suggested and I seems fine i have a more experienced mechanic coming to take a look at it to double check but i didn't see anything that looked like mouse droppings as one of you said so hopefully nothing is too wrong with it but thanks so much for your help

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:46 pm

It would still be nice to see where you located....Add that info toyour profile , access is in the drop down box where you login.

Bugsaway
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Bugsaway » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:52 pm

dtoots1 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:46 pm
It would still be nice to see where you located....Add that info toyour profile , access is in the drop down box where you login.
I added that information just now. Didn't realize there was a place to add it in since for the most part I've just stalked the forms until i created the account trying to find a solution to my issue